SBS2003 Premium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 Premium

I am purchasing a new SBS2003 PRE shortly. I'm getting Premium version because we need Exch and SQL server. I believe this version comes with ISA server as well.
    My question is do I need to use the ISA because it is already pre-installed, or can I uninstall it? Better still can I disable it?

Besty.

yes you can uninstall the isa server and you can disable it as well.

every application in sbs 2003 can be installed by itself.
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Re: SBS2003 Premium

Originally posted by besty
      I am purchasing a new SBS2003 PRE shortly. I'm getting Premium version because we need Exch and SQL server. I believe this version comes with ISA server as well.
      My question is do I need to use the ISA because it is already pre-installed, or can I uninstall it? Better still can I disable it?

Besty.
      Why you want to uninstall isa? It's a very good firewall and you pay for that!
      MCSE w2k
      MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
      MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

btw when you install the sbs2003 sp1 it also upgrade isa 2000 to isa 2004.

lets say you get isa 2004 for free.
        Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Thanks for all you replies. I'm currently using a separate hardware firewall box. I don't really need another firewall plus I heard that configuring ISA can be quite tricky if you never done it before.

Besty

Comment

remember that you can use isa server as caching server (proxy) to reduce internet traffic
            Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Other benefits of ISA 2004 are that you can control who and what goes OUT to the internet - not just what comes in. And it logs all the sufing with a username, so you know who is doing what.
              I would also like to correct a couple of points above which may be misinterpreted.
              1. You don't uninstall ISA - you just don't install it to start with (or SQL for that matter)
              2. ISA and SQL are on a separate CD called Premium Technologies along with a Step-by-step of how to install. It's not that tricky for a basic setup. After that it integrates into the Server Console and the set of wizards common to SBS.
              Also, since security is a layered approach, it may be that your external firewall is not enough - especially as ISA has application content filtering as well.
              Not bad for a firewall which in your case can be considered for free!
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
                Other benefits of ISA 2004 are that you can control who and what goes OUT to the internet - not just what comes in. And it logs all the sufing with a username, so you know who is doing what.
                I would also like to correct a couple of points above which may be misinterpreted.
                1. You don't uninstall ISA - you just don't install it to start with (or SQL for that matter)
                2. ISA and SQL are on a separate CD called Premium Technologies along with a Step-by-step of how to install. It's not that tricky for a basic setup. After that it integrates into the Server Console and the set of wizards common to SBS.
                Also, since security is a layered approach, it may be that your external firewall is not enough - especially as ISA has application content filtering as well.
                Not bad for a firewall which in your case can be considered for free!
                Because I,m purchasing a Dell server with factory installed SBS2003 Premiun, I assumed that SQL and ISA will already be loaded.
                Are you saying that may not be the case?

Besty.

Comment

Didn't realise it's pre-installed. In any case, your Best Practice may be to get a local SBS consultant to reinstall it for you from scratch. The rpeinstalls have a tendency to create everything one one partition - it's best to have your Exchange data, for example, on a separate partition. I'm not sure Dell installs it that way (or HP for that matter)
                  TIA

sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

And in reply to your original question, don't uninstall it - just disable the relevant service controls (switch off Miscrosoft ISA Server Control and you will see which other services need to be switched off). That way it is ready for you to reverse the simple procedure when you decide you do need it.
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X