Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client computers cannot access Internet following ISP change

Hello all

This is my first post here although I have found many answers here before!

Ok here goes. I have spent all day trying to solve an issue for a friend, they have changed ISPs and repogrammed the router and SBS2003 server with new IP addresses etc.

The setup is Router - SBS WAN NIC - SBS LAN NIC - HUB - PC's

Basically the Server can access the internet, you can access websites etc from the server. The server is receiving email and email is being received on the client PCs, they can also send email. THe issue is the PCs can no longer access the internet! If I try to ping anything the address resolves however we get a reply from the server LAN NIC destination unreachable. I can however ping all of these addresses from the server.

All they changed (as far as i know) was the IP Addresses on the WAN NIC which is what is really puzzling me.

To me (and i am not that clued up on these things) it appears that the lan and wan nics are not communicating correctly.

Any ideas? Please help

Anthony

Re: Client computers cannot access Internet following ISP change

An ICMP destination unreachable message could be the result of several different things, but most likely it's a routing issue between the LAN and WAN interfaces on the server.

It looks to me like the LAN clients use the server as their default gateway, is that correct? If so then you're probably running ICS on the server, is that correct? Check the default gateway settings on the client and server and make sure they're correct. Check the ICS configuration to see if it's needs to be modified as a result of the new WAN ip address on the server.

The other thing you can do is install Microsoft Network Monitor 3 on the LAN client, start a capture, ping www.google.com, filter the capture for ICMP, and tell us what type and code values are in the ICMP destination unreachable messages. This will tell us exactly why the pings are failing.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      An ICMP destination unreachable message could be the result of several different things, but most likely it's a routing issue between the LAN and WAN interfaces on the server.
      Thanks Joe, that is what it looks to be to me

It looks to me like the LAN clients use the server as their default gateway, is that correct? If so then you're probably running ICS on the server, is that correct? Check the default gateway settings on the client and server and make sure they're correct. Check the ICS configuration to see if it's needs to be modified as a result of the new WAN ip address on the server.
      You will have to bare with me a little on this, yes the clients use the server as their gateway, the gateway on the clients is 192.168.0.2 which is the LAN NIC, the server is (or at least should be DHCP'ing!!). Could you please talk me through checking the ICS settings on the server? I can access it remotely but am not sure where I need be looking. I am almost certain these will not have been changed so you may have hit the nail on the head

The other thing you can do is install Microsoft Network Monitor 3 on the LAN client, start a capture, ping www.google.com, filter the capture for ICMP, and tell us what type and code values are in the ICMP destination unreachable messages. This will tell us exactly why the pings are failing.
      Ok.. well if he ICS doesnt resolve this I will try this! Am hoping its straitforward?

Thanks
      A

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with ICS, I just know that the LAN NIC needs to route packets to the WAN NIC and that's likely where the problem is due to the ip address change on the WAN NIC. If there's an ICS management console I would just go in to it and start looking around. You could also look at the routing table on the server (run "route print" from a command prompt) to see if that gives you any clues. You may be able to delete any old static route that points to the old WAN NIC ip address and add a new route that points to the new ip address. You could also try rebooting the server to see if that clears up the problem.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with ICS, I just know that the LAN NIC needs to route packets to the WAN NIC and that's likely where the problem is due to the ip address change on the WAN NIC. If there's an ICS management console I would just go in to it and start looking around. You could also look at the routing table on the server (run "route print" from a command prompt) to see if that gives you any clues. You may be able to delete any old static route that points to the old WAN NIC ip address and add a new route that points to the new ip address. You could also try rebooting the server to see if that clears up the problem.

Thanks Joe

It seems that ICS is not a feature on SBS2003 not sure why

Route print shows me

Active Routes:
          Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
          0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 94.30.78.9 94.30.78.10 20
          91.85.230.224 255.255.255.248 91.85.230.227 94.30.78.10 20
          91.85.230.227 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 20
          91.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 94.30.78.10 94.30.78.10 20
          94.30.78.8 255.255.255.248 94.30.78.10 94.30.78.10 20
          94.30.78.10 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 20
          94.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 94.30.78.10 94.30.78.10 20
          127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
          192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 10
          192.168.0.2 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 10
          192.168.0.23 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 50
          192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 10
          224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 94.30.78.10 94.30.78.10 20
          224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 10
          255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 94.30.78.10 94.30.78.10 1
          255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 1
          Default Gateway: 94.30.78.9
          ================================================== =========================

Now 91.85.230.224 is an IP address associated with a back up connection that is not connected apparently ( I know its not connected wasnt aware that it had been configured) however this would have been there with the old connection active although was configured after the initial ISP connection that has just been replaced

94.30.78.9 94.30.78.10 is the servers WAN IP addy is the gateway LAN IP on the router
          192.168,0,2 is the LAN IP on the server.

Its all double dutch to me so please please help i am going crazy! Have spent all day on this!

THx
          A

Comment

The routing table looks OK to me. You said this is SBS so how about running the CEICW again?

Comment

The routing table looks OK to me. You said this is SBS so how about running the CEICW again?

Hi Joe

I did that 3 or 4 times today, followed by reboots and forced gpupdates for AD..

Here is an IPConfig /all from the server, (I am remote desktopped on at the moment

I am wondering if the 91.85.230.227 addres is an issue... and how to remove it if it is as it doesnt show on CEICW!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server
              Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : hcmaint.local
              Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
              IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
              WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
              DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hcmaint.local

PPP adapter RAS Server (Dial In) Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
              DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.23
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
              NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC105i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-0B-DC-08-2E
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
              DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
              Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Ethernet adapter Wide Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet
              NIC
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-08-07-1F
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 91.85.230.227
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 94.30.78.10
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 94.30.78.9
              DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
              NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Comment

Yeah, get rid of the 91.x.x.x ip address. It should be in the advanced properties of the WAN NIC. Also, if there's more than one gateway address lsited there get rid of it as well. It looks like there's an active PPTP connection to the server, is that correct? If so temporarily disable RRAS to see what happens. Run a tracert from a client to www.google.com to see where the tracert goes as this might give you an idea of where the problem is.

Comment

Yeah, get rid of the 91.x.x.x ip address. It should be in the advanced properties of the WAN NIC. Also, if there's more than one gateway address lsited there get rid of it as well. It looks like there's an active PPTP connection to the server, is that correct? If so temporarily disable RRAS to see what happens. Run a tracert from a client to www.google.com to see where the tracert goes as this might give you an idea of where the problem is.
                  The active PPTP is potentially my remote desktop connection or am i wrong?

I have taken the 91 address out and rerun CEICW for good measure

All I can now say is... where the hell do you live? I owe you several pints!

Comment

The PPTP connection (if I'm not mistaken) will only show in ipconfig/all if there's an active inbound PPTP connection. I don't know how SBS client connections work (whether they use PPTP, RDP, etc.) so that may be why there's an active PPTP connection. If the problem exists when no PPTP connection exists then it's probably not got anything to do with the problem. What does the tracert from a LAN client show?

Comment

The PPTP connection (if I'm not mistaken) will only show in ipconfig/all if there's an active inbound PPTP connection. I don't know how SBS client connections work (whether they use PPTP, RDP, etc.) so that may be why there's an active PPTP connection. If the problem exists when no PPTP connection exists then it's probably not got anything to do with the problem. What does the tracert from a LAN client show?
                      They use PPTP by default for RRAS/VPN. RDP connections wont show up there. They'll be logged under TSadmin.

Comment

I'm aware of that. Thanks. I manage a 50 server TS farm but have no knowledge of SBS. I saw he had an incoming PPTP connection active and was wondering how he was connected when he said he was connected remotely. I know that SBS uses some type of remote connections (RWW?) but didn't know if it used PPTP or RDP.

What type of remote connectivity does an SBS have set up "out of the box"?

Comment

I'm aware of that. Thanks. I manage a 50 server TS farm but have no knowledge of SBS. I saw he had an incoming PPTP connection active and was wondering how he was connected when he said he was connected remotely. I know that SBS uses some type of remote connections (RWW?) but didn't know if it used PPTP or RDP.

What type of remote connectivity does an SBS have set up "out of the box"?
                          As you said RWW and RRAS/VPN for clients. And of course the usual 2 administrative plus one console connection. RWW though leverages the RDP protocol indirectly and is proxyed on 4125. So you dont require 3389 open on the server inbound. Only 4125 inbound.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                              So you dont require 3389 open on the server inbound. Only 4125 inbound.
                              And 443, of course!
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X