Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 / Exchange - "Relay access denied"

Hello again,

Question number two, more difficult this time. SBS install went fine. After post install checks/downloads/etc, I looked at Exchange and at the same time I updated the registrar's DNS zone file a. to point at our web server b. to include an MX record for our mail server (based on the excellent tutorial of this site).

- From OWA, I logged on and sent an e-mail to a gmail/hotmail account - the message arrived.
    - From gmail/hotmail, I sent a reply (failed) and then send a message to <the user>@mywebdomain.com (failed). In both cases the error was of the same type:
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied

I tried following the advice given at http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...07&postcount=6, but when I tried to change FQDN from server.domain.local to mail.domain.com, SBS 2008 would not let me - so I changed to just domain.com IIRC. I then tried defining a new connector. End result is the same - e-mails not received.

Is my MX record likely wrong? Have I wrongly configured my hub transport connector? Any (newbie) tips on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: SBS 2008 / Exchange - &quot;Relay access denied&quot;

Do you have port TCP25 forwarded to the server?

Secondly make sure domainname.com is enabled for mail as well as domainname.local

Thirdly I don't have an 2007 box in front of me right now but there is a tick box on the your incoming SMTP connector which allows anonymous incoming mail. Check that because its not ticked by default.

I suspect the problem is port 25 is blocked by your router or ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rednet View Post
      Do you have port TCP25 forwarded to the server?
      - Yes, ports 25, 80, 443 and 987 are all forwarded (owa is visible for example).

Secondly make sure domainname.com is enabled for mail as well as domainname.local
      - I think I set that up, but I'll check tonight, once RDP is working as per another thread

Thirdly I don't have an 2007 box in front of me right now but there is a tick box on the your incoming SMTP connector which allows anonymous incoming mail. Check that because its not ticked by default.
      - OK will check that.

I suspect the problem is port 25 is blocked by your router or ISP.
      - Router should be OK, not sure about the ISP. Will get someone to call. Apart from calling the ISP, I should be able to see if the port is blocked by doing a 'telnet <ip> 25' right? The result I get is 'Operation timed out' ('telnet: Unable to connect to remote host') whereas if I do a 'telnet <ip> 80' I get 'Connected to <ip> Escape character is '^]'.'.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

In my opinion hotmail and gmail does not like relaying from your adsl line, normaly used for spammer etc etc... try to use a smtp connector ?

Regards
        Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

By default, and not sure whether this is appicable to Exchange 2007 on SBS, there is a 'Receive Connector' that needs to have anonymous access manually granted to allow emails to be received. Have you checked that?

Comment

Hmm just wondering .... do you have a PTN in you DNS? check that out and see if everything is ok.

Regards
            Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Thanks for the comments and suggestions; I could not answer earlier due to having an arm in plaster...

I got things 'working' last week by a 'minor' edit to the DNS records (still got a lot to learn). It seems I was missing an 'A' record for the domain root (still not sure why that should have been a problem, as an 'A' record had been defined for the mail server).

After the minor edit to the DNS record, tests from places like pingability.com and https://testexchangeconnectivity.com/ etc worked fine. Also e-mails from gmail and hotmail started getting through.

WRT the PTR, I have not yet asked the ISP to set this to the FQDN of the server; I wanted to get past this 'Relay access denied' error first.

Interestingly (to me at least) alhough e-mail is getting through to the server, doing a 'telnet <ip> 25' still results in a timeout.

Chris

Comment

Hey Hey, hope youre better, and nice to hear that u solved the problem, the system is always right The telnet problem may be a firewall ou settings problem, never did a telnet to my smtp server hehehe.

Regards
                Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Just to close this thread completely.

- DNS
                  Convinced now I know what the DNS problem was. My A record for the mail server was not quite right, server name was missing the trailing full stop/period. So it was interpreted as a sub-domain. I *think* this was my mistake, but things are working now so I'm not going to touch.

- Telnet
                  The answer to this one is even more "PEBKAC" (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) then the first. And it was hinted to here as well. Nothing to do with the ISP of the server. My ISP by default blocks outbound port 25. After a quick change in my ISP account web interface, voila port 25 is unblocked and I can telnet to the mail server.

Chris

Comment

hahah nice one "PEBKAC" (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), in portugal we call this a VIRUS

Thx for the last Post, and port 25 is a pain in the Head .

Regards
                    Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Working...
                    X