Problems with SBS2003 and 2008 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with SBS2003 and 2008 server

Good morning - been an avid fan of this site for many years but never had to use the forums as the main site is most informative but I can't find specific reference to this. I think i've fixed it but i really want to understand what happened so it doesn't happen again.

1. Start new job and realise i'm lumbered with 2003SBS on a woefully specced server - bump up the memory and processors which helps.
    2. Get two new 2008 servers up and running and filter off some of the user account data folders, all the FTP etc etc - things that really have no place on a DC and leave it doing exchange and basic AD stuff.
    3. As a part of this and to spread the load I moved the RID and PDC roles to the othe two servers - one role each.
    4. As a direct consequence ( i realise this now) the SBS server decided it had more than one SBS server in the domain and began throwing eventID 1011 ( although this has taken 7 days to show itself).
    5. Next was eventID 1012 warning of 60 minute then 30minute system shutdown.
    6. System promptly shut itself down.
    Now I assume ( from searching / reading) that the RID and PDC roles once transferred to other servers make them appear to be SBS2003 servers as they're running roles that should remain assigned to the SBS2003 server and now having transferred those roles back to the original server the problem has gone away. I have left the infrastructure master assigned to one of the other 2008 servers as I can't find any information pointing to this being a problem. Firstly is this assumption correct and secondly, have i fixed a problem that i've never come accross before? Secondly, is it going to take another 7 days before those warnings start to reappear and catch me with my proverbial pants down again. Cheers for any advice or comments. Patrick
    Last edited by UncleFester; 21st May 2009, 13:14.

Re: Problems with SBS2003 and 2008 server

SBS must be the FSMO holder -- AFAIK for all 5 roles
    I wouldnt worry about the load this causes -- since SBS is limited to 75 CALs anyway, most servers should be OK.
    I would be more worried about the load caused by Exchange
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for the quick reply, the only roles I transferred were the RID and PDC so that answers that question .... exchange, i've seen a very good article on here for migrating exchange 2003 off SBS and onto another server ( i've already got one put aside for just this purpose) but as with any new job where there has been no prior IT support it's a case of working your way through what is already in place.

That's the first time i've ever run into anything like that and hopefully I won't see it again.

Am I correct in thinking that RID, PDC and Infrastructure are the only moveable roles in SBS and i've not somehow moved the Schema master and Domain naming master roles too - i'm sure those can only exist on the SBS server?

Comment

You know if you transfer Exchange of the SBS you will need to re-license it (very costly)

All FSMOs are movable (needed to e.g. migrate to new server) but in SBS they MUST be on the SBS server -- if you move them and leave the old server running, you have seen the consequences. The 7 days is a "grace period" to allow you to do a total migration if you need to
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          You know if you transfer Exchange of the SBS you will need to re-license it (very costly)

All FSMOs are movable (needed to e.g. migrate to new server) but in SBS they MUST be on the SBS server -- if you move them, you have seen the consequences. The 7 days is a "grace period" to allow you to do a total migration if you need to
          Yes and cost is the main reason it's still where it is - i reckon 20k or so for the licenses we'd need and I just can't see the point. Mdaemon might have been another option but it doesn't support push email via activesync so that's a no go too.

Just checked http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234790 and both those roles have not been transferred.

I'll keep an eye on the event log and check that no more of those errors are thrown.

Thanks once again for the help

Comment

Yours SBS box needs to have all FSMO roles.

When moving from SBS 2003, I used a transition pack.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ...ransition.mspx

The transition failed for me as the server wouldn't reboot agan. This does happen from time to time and Microsoft gave us free support to resolve the failed transition.

Before starting, I joined another w2k3 standard box as a DC in the SBS domain. I also backed up Exchange databases. A copy with the databases dismounted and an IS backup using NTBACKUP.

When the installation failed, we reimaged the SBS box with 2k3 Standard and reinstalled Exchange (Transition pack comes with the required media and we made sure we had purchase the necessary licenses, which was cheaper using the transition pack in our case)

We seized the FSMO roles and then remounted the Exchange databases and log files. We had then just tweak a few permissions in Exchange to suit the new SIDs etc. We ensured the server was also the same name.

The recovery was a success down to the backup DC. Made life so much easier.

Comment

Why don't you replace the SBS hardware with new hardware as per the swing migration method or the MS whitepaper method. Either will leave you SBS intact with its inherent cost and operational benefits.
              The only time I have seen an SBS server really struggle is when there is an LOB application making heavy use of SQL . For DC and Exchange, it has always given decent performance.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X