Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 - restored from backup network corruption probs

Hi Guys

I work with a lot of SBS 2003 servers and they are all backed up using the built in backup tool.
    Yesterday I thought i'd try a restore so I created a SBS 2003 R2 VMware machine, configured exchange etc and then created a backup, I then restored it using exactly the method described at:

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine...e_sbs2003.mspx

Now the problem is the AD seems ok (user accounts still there) but the network has totally messed up, the strange thing is the SBS can go out to the internet but my internal clients cant even ping it, I changed the SBS nic from bridged to a virtual switch along with an XP client but still no luck so I dont think its VMware. I also tried running the "connect to internet" wizard again, uninstalled the nic, reconfigured it but still no luck.

My question is, does the procedure (as per URL above) normally work?, I've tried it twice now and I get the same problem so I feel a bit uneasy relying on them for the customer backups.

Thanks guys

Re: SBS 2003 - restored from backup network corruption probs

See this KB (I know it is for XP but it works on Server 2003/SBS also).
    See if you have your old NIC in th edevice manager after looking at all Hidden Devices . It may be that your AD/DNS/DHCP/Networking is bound to the original NIC.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 - restored from backup network corruption probs

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      See this KB (I know it is for XP but it works on Server 2003/SBS also).
      See if you have your old NIC in th edevice manager after looking at all Hidden Devices . It may be that your AD/DNS/DHCP/Networking is bound to the original NIC.
      Thanks for the reply, I just tried this and the only ghost device is a "RAS async adapter" which i'm pretty sure has nothing to do with the problems, theres only one ethernet adapter which is the one i'm using.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
      X