Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 with Exchange crashed, no backup, how do I restore Exchange stores?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 with Exchange crashed, no backup, how do I restore Exchange stores?

Hi,

I recently had a SBS2003 box crash, there were no backups but we took the drives to a data recovery place and got data back. I've already got a new server up and running on SBS, and exchange loaded, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get my old email stores up and accessible. I've searched on Google, but most of what I've seen is on Server 2003 standard, then they say to load Exchange using the /DisasterRecovery switch. I'm not sure I can remove exchange and re-install because of it being included in SBS.

I don't care about running on the old stores, just need to restore a few mailboxes and the public folders.

From the old server I have everything in the MDBDATA folder. With files listed below:

E00.CHK
    E00.log
    E00tmp.log
    E000079E.log
    priv1.edb
    priv1.stm
    pub1.edb
    pub1.stm
    res1.log
    res2.log
    tmp.edb

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Tony/ES&P

Re: SBS 2003 with Exchange crashed, no backup, how do I restore Exchange stores?

Consider Ontrack PowerControls, an expensive, but invaluable, piece of software for Exchange recovery
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 with Exchange crashed, no backup, how do I restore Exchange stores?

Wow...You were correct about the price of the software...Is there any other solution? I'm working with a limited budget.

Thanks,

Tony/ES&P

Comment

You could try the recovery storage group option but I dont know with SBS

Does your new server / organisation have exactly the same names as before the crash?

IMHO, the value of your data will (should) seriously outweighs the cost of recovery

Also you had better start budgeting for backups in future
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Don't think an RSG will work in this case as we have no AD backup, same for disasterrecovery.
          You are likely looking at having to use a tool to do this unfortunately. You could google EDB recovery and see if there are any cheaper ones but I've only ever used the powertools and the quest ones. Recovering Exchange requires a working and valid AD from the time of the backup. A new install is no good.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for your responses. I'll talk to the bosses and see where we go from here.

Once again, thanks for your help

Tony/ES&P

Comment

I used Kernel for Exchange for a similar situation. It's not very expensive and there is also a free trial. Once it shows you the mailboxes it can recover, usually everything, you just need to then purchase it. At least you then know it is guaranteed.

It converts them to a PST file that you can then import back in or just get users to open the PST file to get you up and running quicker.

We had to recreate all mailboxes. The PST files were then just added to their local machine and then opened. Saved us a lot of time.

Edit: May help.

http://www.kerneldatarecovery.com/ex...-recovery.html

Comment

Were the users by change running Outlook in cached mode? If so, and you haven't changed the domain yet you can open Outlook using the ost file and export it to a pst file. You can then import the pst files into the new mailboxes. If you have changed the domain already you may still be able to do it if the users can log on to their computers with cached credentials from the original domain.

Comment

We've never used expensive software for this.
                  The main questions are:

1) Have you saved anything into the new install of Exchange?
                  2) Are you using the same version of Exchange and same service pack levels?

If the answer to 1) is yes then your best bet is probably to do a clean build of SBS onto a temporary machine (using the same server name and domain name that you used to have) and do a forklift into that. You can then use Outlook to dump whatever you need from that server to a pst.

Also, everything I have read on forklift procedures recommends having the destination Exchange at the same service pack level that the source was at so if you've updated your new install further than the old, I don't know whether it will work or not.

The forklift procedure, whether to a temporary server or the production server is as follows, and should only take a few minutes if everything is the same on the source and destination.

Stop the MS Exchange Store service
                  Move the newer files out of your current store directory and copy the old ones in.
                  Open the Exchange System Manager (ignore any warnings about the store being stopped.)
                  Go to Servers -> Servername -> First Storage Group
                  Right click on each store in turn and set "This database can be overwritten by a restore" on the Database tab.

Then start the store and check the event viewer for any errors. If you have any, it is most likely either your organization, server name or domain name have changed. In that case you need LegacyDN:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324606

Once you've got the store mounted, you have to reconnect the mailboxes to the new users. First off, if the old users have mailbox details you need to pop over into Active Directory and run "Remove Exchange Attributes" from Exchange Tasks for all the users.

Then back to the Exchange System Manager, into the mailbox store and run the cleanup agent. All the mailboxes will show as disconnected so simply right click one by one and reconnect them to the new user.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    Were the users by change running Outlook in cached mode? If so, and you haven't changed the domain yet you can open Outlook using the ost file and export it to a pst file. You can then import the pst files into the new mailboxes. If you have changed the domain already you may still be able to do it if the users can log on to their computers with cached credentials from the original domain.
                    Good idea Joe. We did this as well prior to reconnecting users to the new mailbox and potentially good be a free solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X