Access Denied on Folder with full control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access Denied on Folder with full control

So I created a MyDocs folder for redirection as you can see the permissions below (It is in the root of my F partition)

So as each user logs in a folder is created and there My Documents are moved from the old "Users" share (people were able to access other peoples folder, etc... it was a mess, plus that drive was getting full so I just created a new OU and GPO linked to that OU pointing to this new location)

The user is set at the owner on there folder

When I try to access there folder logged in as the Administrator I get access denied, when I try to view the properties of there folder I see this (see below)
    but I know these folders have GB's of data

This is Windows 2003 SBS Standard w/ SP2, clients are Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

What gives?
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Access Denied on Folder with full control

What are the security advanced properties for one of the user folders inside F:\MyDocs ?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Check the ownership and rejoin it to Administrator.

Comment

That's the expected behavior. When you configure folder redirection, on the settings tab there is a check box "Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents" that is checked by default. When this is checked Windows does not add the Administrator to the ACL of the redirected folders as they're created. You'll need to uncheck this option and reset the permissions on any folders that have been created already. If it's a small number of users you might want to take ownership of the folders, back up the data, delete the folders, and start from scratch.

Comment

Also: the permissions on the root folder look good except for the Everyone group. I would recommend removing Everyone and replacing it (with the exact same permissions) with a group that all the users are a member of. Also do this for the Share (SMB) permissions on the folder. Using the Everyone group for Share or NTFS permissions is not a good security practice IMHO.

Comment

Also, I wouldn't grant the group full control. Read for the root folder and then modify for their own personal folders or other folders, wich they need that access to. Full control will also allow the user to change security permissions, so potentially can grant others access.

Edit: I tend to grant 'everyone' Full Control of the share and make it a hidden share and then lock folders down with NTFS permissions.

Comment

This is what I followed when setting up folder redirection in my environment:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...99(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...53(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...30(WS.10).aspx

Comment

As well as NTFS permissions on the drive, don't forget to give appropriate Write permissions on the share (default is Read)!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  That's the expected behavior. When you configure folder redirection, on the settings tab there is a check box "Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents" that is checked by default. When this is checked Windows does not add the Administrator to the ACL of the redirected folders as they're created. You'll need to uncheck this option and reset the permissions on any folders that have been created already. If it's a small number of users you might want to take ownership of the folders, back up the data, delete the folders, and start from scratch.

I think this was it, I forgot to adjust this setting

Comment

So you got it sorted then? If that's the case, then glad to hear it.

Comment

Sure did, thanks! Dummy mistake on my part

Comment

Working...
                      X