Installing SBS2003 OEM as guest on Virtual Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SBS2003 OEM as guest on Virtual Server

I would like to install SBS2003 OEM as guest on Virtual Server. The host is a Server 2008 Standard OEM . I've been searching for an answer for some time now, but i can't find a final answer to the question "is it allowed?"

Besides that, there is a problem when attempting that install, when launching the wizard it tells me "The computer cannot be updated to an OEM Version of Windows 2003 Small Business Server". That is the latest and final setup wich installs the exchange server etc. Not the primary install of Windows Server.

It seems to think it isn't a OEM version. Tried both VMware Server and MIcrosoft Virtual server, same results.

Does anybody have any bright ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Installing SBS2003 OEM as guest on Virtual Server

Is this to be for testing purposes or production environment? Is this OEM OS installed on another machine still? I believe that w2k8 standard comes with 1 additional license for a w2k8 standard OS for 1 virtual PC. I would say that you aren't permitted, IMHO.

Comment

I think the Win2008 HyperV licensing is a red herring -- there is nothing to stop you installing more Vms if you buy the licenses

More likely, an OEM copy of SBS expects to come with new hardware -- detects it is not and then goes and sulks
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867572 gives you the supported scenarios.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X