SBS 2003 Migration, loss of client internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Migration, loss of client internet

Hello everyone, i am in the process of migrating my companys SBS Premium 2003 installaion from a DIY P4 northwood server to a new HP DL380 G5 and ive run into a snag, im using Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8 to backup the old server and then to a universal recovery to the new server.

Im oding this on nightshifts so i dont have to touch the old server, mearly conect up the new one and check for problems, if the are too many to fix before morning i swap them back

Ive now made 2 attempts and have just one problem left, lack of internet connectivity on the clients. After the recovery the server has drivers for its 2 new NICs however no IP settings so I configured them with the settings from the two cards in the old machine and everything seemed to work fine, network printers were fine, clients could login and acces server shares as well as send/recieve internal mail via exchange.

However even tho the clients could access the internal web page on the server they cannot access anything online

heres a copy of the ip settings:

External NIC
    IP: 217.35.118.153
    SM: 255.255.255.248
    DG: 217.35.118.157 (the router)

DNS: 217.35.118.154 (our DNS server)
    DNS: 192.168.16.2 (this machines internal NIC)

Internal NIC
    IP: 192.168.16.2
    SM: 255.255.255.0
    DG: (none)

DNS: 217.35.118.154 (our DNS server)
    DNS: 192.168.16.2 (this machines internal NIC)

The server itself can access the internet fine, the only problem is lient connectivity so i assume the problm lies in DNS or the routing between the servers NICs? it was 5-6 year ago when I originally configured all this so im proberbly missing something basic lol, please help

Thanks, James

Re: SBS 2003 Migration, loss of client internet

The first and only DNS for the server and the clients should be the internal NIC of the SBS itself. AD is on the SBS. Clients use DNS to find the AD servers. Unless all of the AD info is on 217.35.118.154 (Which it SHOULDN'T be, BTW) you clients are not going to be able to log on!
    (Reread your post) SBS needs your ISP's DNS as forwarders for Internet connectivity
    Last edited by teiger; 15th May 2009, 00:20. Reason: Reread your post
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Check which NIC is primary in the bindings as well.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Whilst I concur that you should have only the internal IP of the server (192.168.16.2) as its DNS server, this doesn't strike me as the cause of the problem.

Having the wrong DNS on the server adapters would cause the server to be slow loading or logging on if it is unable to find the AD DNS details.

The actual problem here is that the clients are not able to resolve external domains. That would straight away tell me to check DHCP to make sure it is giving the clients the right DNS (internal IP of the server and nothing else).

If this is OK then its over to DNS config on the server and make sure that the forwarders are correct. This is where I suspect you may find your problem seen as internal zones are working. Theoretically nothing should have changed seen as you did an image/restore but apparently something has changed.

So check that your ISPs DNS server is listed as a forwarder.

If that looks ok then you need to do some nslookups to check what does and doesn't look up and some pings to see what traffic passes where.

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys

Yeah i should have realised that the external dns server (217.35.118.154) was on the SBS's internal nic, DOH!

Thats fixed now however i doubt it would have caused the problem as the correct address was specified as the alternate, so surely if the primary had failed to resolve then it would have moved to the alternate and just taken longer?

I checked the DHCP and it was all correct, i also removed and recreated the scope to ensure that nothing had gone west during the recovery

My ISP's dns server are not setup as forwarders and never have been, the forwarders are our dns server (217.35.118.154) and its sister unit on another site. its been like this for over 5 years and never caused a problem so im not sure why we would need to start using our ISP's servers now

*** EDIT ***

Bah i can be dense sometimes... I just logged on to the DNS server and checked the logs, it blocked a number of requests that had come from the SBS server after the recovery, guess it didnt like the change of mac or something... so the SBS could get out because the router was its default gateway but the clients gateway was the SBS internal nic which forwarded their dns to a server that was ignoring it, well hopefully it should go better text time (if anyone sees a problem with my diagnosis please inform/correct me)
          Last edited by thebigkahunaburger; 19th May 2009, 11:03. Reason: Discovered something new

Comment

If a DNS server responds to a request then your machine will take that response it will only use the secondary DNS server if the primary doesn't respond at all.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigkahunaburger View Post
              My ISP's dns server are not setup as forwarders and never have been, the forwarders are our dns server (217.35.118.154) and its sister unit on another site. its been like this for over 5 years and never caused a problem so im not sure why we would need to start using our ISP's servers now
              I only said ISPs because that's what most people have, if you've got a separate DNS server as you apparently do then of course you can use that - if its not blocking you

Glad to hear you've found the cause.

Comment

Working...
              X