Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to allow clients to download data securely?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to allow clients to download data securely?

Not sure if this is even the right forum, but I dont know where to start.

The business I work for basically does contract work. People send us their drugs, we analyze them, and we upload the results to a web folder where they can download them. Right now the problem is that through the web GUI, the customer can only download 1 file at a time and there are usually 50 files they must download. Also, we must set the passwords for the customer to get into the folder and there is no way for the customer to change this password.

Can anyone point me in the general direction of a setup that would allow the customer to change their password and download entire directories? Free software, paid software, whatever.

Re: How to allow clients to download data securely?

Have you considered SharePoint. I assume you may be using that now. If so, you can use SharePoint in 'explorer vew' and download more than 1 file by copying. You can even map to document libraries as you would a file share.

With regards to logon accounts, you could consider building a web part in sharepoint that allows you to change the password. It could tap into maybe an AD directory that allows those changes that could be isolated from your main domain etc.

Comment

No, we are not using Sharepoint, I always just thought of sharepoint as a inter-office app. Could outside customers connect to it?

Comment

Originally posted by nappyjim View Post
        No, we are not using Sharepoint, I always just thought of sharepoint as a inter-office app. Could outside customers connect to it?
        Yes they can. It can use a variety of different methods for authenication and even use a customer's acess solution if setup right.

Comment

Although you can use Sharepoint, and it is a great solution if you have a few regular External customers with whom you want to share data, for the public it s not a viable proposition. Presumably each person who has to get results needs access to his/her results needs access ONLY to those and not any others. Nor should anyone else have access to theirs. Therefore each client who logs in to Sharepoint needs a CAL (anyone who authenticates to SBS needs a CAL!). This becomes an expensive proposition if you have many clients or the public needing personal access. You also have a limit of 75!
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Why not a decent 3rd party FTP server?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              Although you can use Sharepoint, and it is a great solution if you have a few regular External customers with whom you want to share data, for the public it s not a viable proposition. Presumably each person who has to get results needs access to his/her results needs access ONLY to those and not any others. Nor should anyone else have access to theirs. Therefore each client who logs in to Sharepoint needs a CAL (anyone who authenticates to SBS needs a CAL!). This becomes an expensive proposition if you have many clients or the public needing personal access. You also have a limit of 75!
              ouch! that would get expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Why not a decent 3rd party FTP server?
                i was told that the clients want a web-based GUI to download the files. It appears the clients have been instructed to use command line to download.

I mentioned there are GUI FTP clients as well, but havent heard back from the suits yet.

We're basically uploading our data to our webhost and the clients are ftp'in into that to get the files, so I guess that would be considered 3rd party FTP server.

Comment

Although completely not an SBS technology, how about something like eXtplorer:

http://extplorer.sourceforge.net/

I haven't used it for a while but do recall you being able to set different users with different permissions. There are tonnes of similar scripts out there too..

Comment

Working...
                  X