Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transection log files are not merging

Hi ,

We are running SBS 2000 , Exchange 2000. Now we do have log files in a different partition and Data base is installed in a different partition .

Now when i am trying to take the online backup ..its completed successfully but it is not removing my old transaction log files ...so at present i am having very less space remaining in that partition ....Earlier when i was taking online backup it was removing the old files automatically ..

I have even check the Event Viewer - Application log files ..but there is no error shows in it ..backup is taken successfully ...so what may be the problem ..why the backup is not merging the old files ...

Please Help ...

Re: transection log files are not merging

What kind of back-up have you taken?
    The logs are purged when running a full back-up.
    I do not believe that the logs are perged when running a copy back-up.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Just to confirm as well, the files are not "merged" they are already in the database so you can delete the ones older than the latest backup. The files are "purged" when a backup takes place as the backup will then contain the current database. In a disaster you take the latest copy of the database and all of the logs between that database backup and the current time and replay them back into the database.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for the prompt reply ...

I am using "ntbackup"utility of windows . and its a normal backup not a copy backup ...earlier i was taking the backup same like this and my files are purged but now its not ..

what may be the reason ...is my data base is corrupted ...how to check data base consistency ...

Comment

NTbackup, Exchange Information Store, or are you referring to backing up the directories where the databases reside? The former will clear the log files, the latter will NOT.
          To check for consistency, take the Information Store off-line and run eseutil /mh /full path to priv1.edb or pub1.edb

Look for Shutdown clean or dirty. Check out eseutil /? for repair and other possibilities. Another utility to run is called "isinteg". Check out its possibilities also.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi ,

I will check my database consistancy ...but is there a way to automatically purge my transection log files while taking the online backup ...with NTBackup or without it ..no issue ..

Comment

It should happen automatically so it implies there is a problem with your backup.
              Can you manually backup the database, post screenshots of the backup schedule and check the event logs please.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi ,

I am taking manual backup of Information store and check its completed successfully ..There is no error in Event Viewer .

Is there any possibilities of bad sectors in my partition where the transaction log files exist .

Also at present circular logging is not enable in my exchange , may i enable it and then take one online backup ..will this help me to purge all the files automatically , as per this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145

Please Help ...

Comment

I would carry out a test restore of your backup before configuring that option. You potentially could loose emails should you have to restore the database. The logs are then useful to restore emails that were received by the system after the last backup but before the next.

Comment

Working...
                  X