Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to restore SBS 2003 R2 on smaller disks

Hi there,

I have a SBS 2003 R2 server and it as been running for almost 2 years. When I installed the server I was so stupid to install it on a 320 GB RAID1 setup with two partitions - Systemdrive is 100 GB and Data has the rest.

I'm really sad with this setup as the RAID1 sync takes VERY VERY long time if some errors happens with power or other strange things happens (server had some problems earlier with a bad Intel Pro 1000 gb Nic which coursed server crashes, and I even had a diskcrash and a successful disk shift... yes, I have had my share of hardware entertainment)

Therefore I purchased two (plus 2 extra for safety) new 80 GB 10.000 RPM disks and tried to make a system state restore - After 3 unsuccessful restore sessions, I realize this is impossible on smaller disks.

Therefore I'm looking for another restore situation where I restore users (AD I think you call it) shared folders and the exchange system it self.

The server is a Domain Controller, there is 4 employes/users on the server.

Anyone got a good description of the procedure to do this restore senario?

Re: How to restore SBS 2003 R2 on smaller disks

R we trying to restore SBS System state on a different hardware?If we are using NT backup,This wud not be possible by design.

Regards

Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Use swing migration or http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc747454.aspx. The first costs a little money but note the time line on the MS document. Do you have 5 days for the migration?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

We have used the swing migration several times. You need to do some test runs to familiarise yourself with it before going productions as we have found all sorts of issues (main one being that the windows firewall keeps turning itself on and blocking transfer of some things between the servers but also other things like DNS having to be moved manually on occassion).

It you're using the same machine but just going to different sized drives, you might find yourself better with something like Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server or Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition.

We had cause to rearrange partitions on a client server as someone had set it up with a 12Gb C drive and 100Gb D drive on the same array.

We did the job in two stages. First was to robocopy the D drive onto a completely new array and then swap the drive letter over to that.

The major change was drive C. First thing I did was to take a backup image using both Acronis and Symantec. I then restored the Acronis image to a single IDE hard drive so that I knew I could still boot the machine if the worst happened. I tried to use Acronis to resize the C partition but it wrecked the boot loader and partition tables so I wouldn't recommend trying that method on any server.

The actual solution that worked was to use Acronis to restore the backup image of drive C. During the restore process you can specify a different size of partition and that worked a treat. Symantec also lets you restore to different hardware as does the universal restore option in Acronis. The actual process in Acronis on old hardware could have been done within an hour if I hadn't been paranoid about all the backups and testing..

Comment

If you're restoring to new drives on the same server why not just image the drives and restore the image after you install the new drives? I use DriveimageXML and it works like a charm. You can also try Acronis, Paragon, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            If you're restoring to new drives on the same server why not just image the drives and restore the image after you install the new drives? I use DriveimageXML and it works like a charm. You can also try Acronis, Paragon, etc., etc.
            I have tried with CloneZilla with no luck at all, Clonezilla is fantastic if you go to a bigger disk...

As we only have 4 accounts, a few shares on the server, I have decided to make a clean install and then import mail from a backup.pst file.

Is this totally crasy or?

Now I'm at the gurus, could any of you explain me about the life cycle on this R2 edition?

On the http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11699 it's not that clear for me...
            Last edited by denbert; 13th May 2009, 19:50.

Comment

It may help by reviewing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                It may help by reviewing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
                Thanks for the stupid non existing answer, which is classic for an IT GURU, who like people to begging him before they will give help/guidance or a friendly advice

Comment

Denbert,
                  With 3 posts, a little more professionalism and politeness would help you get answers
                  You asked about the product lifecycle and were given a link to the official statement from Microsoft. I'm sorry if that was not what you wanted, but don't blame someone giving up their own time to try to help you.

Warning issued, which could easily turn into a ban....
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by denbert View Post
                    Thanks for the stupid non existing answer, which is classic for an IT GURU, who like people to begging him before they will give help/guidance or a friendly advice
                    I recommend that you wait for others to post in future if it's not to your satisfaction. Posts are not only here for you but for other future readers. Quoting Microsoft will ensure accurate advice.

Some friendly advice. I'm not the only one who posts. Had you waited, you may have found that somebody would have posted an answer you were looking for.

Comment

You started one thread and turned it into another one by asking a different question - this is known as hijacking and is also not allowed.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X