Very Excessive Memory Usage in SBS 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Excessive Memory Usage in SBS 2008

I have a Server with SBS 2008 Premium. As I intend to experiment with Virtualisation, I installed 16GB of RAM in the server. It has been running OK for the last few month with no major problems. On reviewing the performance, this morning, I discovered that the server is consuming a staggering 13.2GB of RAM. This surely cannot be right

I've attached 2 screen shots of the performance and the processes task manager windows. The memory hoggers are the usual culprits, SQL Server and Exchange. However, even with these, I cannot see how 13 gigs could be in use. There are only 2-3 users connected to this box at any one time and it is not heavily used.

If you have any explanations, ideas and/or suggestions, I assure you that these would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Attached Files

Re: Very Excessive Memory Usage in SBS 2008

I suspect it IS the usual culprits grabbing memory if it is there
    Have a look in the Exchange 2007 forum and there is a thread about this sort of memory use being normal
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

I'll look over the Exchange Forums

MÚran taing!

Allistair Lomax

Comment

had you limited the sql memory ?

Comment

Yes, I had...

Comment

Are you having performance issues with the server.

It's normal for Exchange 2007 to hog memory. If the system then needs it, Exchange 2007 will give it back.

As with regards to SQL, what databases are you hosting there?

Comment

Hi Virtual,

No, I'm not experiencing any problems with the performance of the server, I was just gob-smacked to see 13GB in use, and wondered what was going on.

The only databases being run on the box are the sharepoint config db and the WSUS db. Nothing else.

Comment

I see. Good that you looked into it, even though it isn't causing a problem. I reckon you have nothing to worry about. Exchange 2007 will be the main reason for the excessive memory usage and hogs memory that way by design.

Comment

IIRC Exchange has done that since version 5.5. It is called dynamic memory management.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X