No announcement yet.

SBS Backups Failing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Backups Failing

Hi all

New SBS2003 Server, all patched up to date.

Bought a Western Digital 500GB BExternal HDD and -trying- to use the SBS Backup to do well, backups.

Simple enough configuration it seems:

1) Back up to a local hard disk or netowrk share: B:\Backups (B: being the WD Ex-HDD)
    2) Chose my excludes
    3) Monday-Friday start at 11pm, store this number of backups = 1 (as recommended by the More Information button)
    4) Retain deleted messages 30 days, 60GB for User Shared Folders snapshots

Two nights in a row now its failed, log as follows:

08/05/2009 23:00
    Date: 08/05/2009
    Time: 23:00
    User: SYSTEM
    Backup Runner started.
    Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 08/05/2009 at 23:00" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "B:\Backups\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup (01).bkf" /UM
    NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup02.log
    =====================<BEGIN NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
    Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (01).bkf created 08/05/2009 at 23:00"
    Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
    Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
    Backup set #1 on media #1
    Backup description: "SBS Backup created on 08/05/2009 at 23:00"
    Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (01).bkf created 08/05/2009 at 23:00"
    Backup Type: Normal
    Backup started on 08/05/2009 at 23:01.
    End of Media encountered while backing up to non-removable media.
    The operation was ended.
    Backup completed on 08/05/2009 at 23:17.
    Directories: 3443
    Files: 22494
    Bytes: 4,274,885,187
    Time:  16 minutes and  0 seconds
    The operation did not successfully complete.
    =======================<END NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
    NTBackup finished the backup with errors.
    For more information about failed backups, see the article on troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page:
    Backup ended at 08 May 2009 23:17
    Backup Runner finished.
    Looks like its doing the C Drive fine but failing immediately on the D Drive, which is the main partition for the shared network drives.

All that is on the D Drive is flat data files + 1 SQL database.

Any ideas??

Re: SBS Backups Failing

Just to add...

The drive is completely empty bar the backup files, so 460GB+ free - estimated backup size was ~23GB for both C+D Drive.

Also just did right click on D Drive > Properties > Tools > Backup

Selected my options to match the SBS Backup Wizard, and now its backing up just fine like that...(only problem is it isnt automated etc) - but this proves there is nothing "wrong" with either drive I guess??

Dear God I must be taking stupid pills, the External HDD came formatted as FAT32...

Problem solved!

Glad you got it solved and we appreciate you posting back with the solution. I am sure this will be of benefit to future readers of this thread. Well done on spotting it.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015