• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with SBS upgrade/migration

hello All,

I was introduced to the Petri- site some months ago by Sensei Geert for IT1

Now i have a practical question.

As a newbee i will be responsible to migrate SBS 2000 server to Server 2008 (DC & Exchange 2007)

1 internal domain ( , 50 users ..

Should anyone have the "white papers" or "Best practices" , he/she is welcome to send me the URL or send them ...

I found the document SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 but my target server is a Standard edition Server 2008 / Exchange 2007.

What to install First ? AD or Exchange 2007 ?
    Does the Server 2008 need to be promoted as DC to old domain ?
    is the migrationflow same as for SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 (mine is 2008 STD edition)

What i did already :

I checked for white papers & found different possibilities (even a 232-page document )
    What is confusing is that 1 paper tells NOT to join the domain & other tells to Join as a member server.

Last edited by lambik90; 7th May 2009, 12:23. Reason: added info

Re: newbie

Hi phillipe,

A few things first. Please read the forum rules, your title is not good enough, you've posted a live email address on a public forum and you don't appear to have made any attempts at researching the information yourself.
    Google has lots of links regarding migrations etc.
    Is the 2008/2007 setup non-SBS? How many users etc. More information is always the key.

If it is SBS then, as posted on these forums previously there is a document:

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I posted here a link to the Microsoft MS Whitepaper on SBS2000 to 2008 just a few days ago when it became live. Please search for it.

And as already asked, lose the e-mail addresses from your posts - we don't want to become a spam source!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

To start on the questions:
        Since it is SBS, don't worry, just UTFW (use the faultless* wizards)
        Basically, do everything MS tell you to, in the order they tell you, and you will have no problems
        Do anything else and things WILL go wrong

*OK, I didnt really mean faultless -- maybe floating, flower-powered, ........)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **