Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 to 2008 Migration.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-d872028a4619

This document written by Microsoft Support Engineer Edwin Joseph describes the process that you should follow to successfully migrate settings and data from an existing server running Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 to a new computer running Windows SBS 2008.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: SBS 2000 to 2008 Migration.

very intresting document!

Any difference for Migration
    SBS 2000 to Standard Server 2008 (+gui)

AD + Exchange Migration

and keeping old SBS as member server

Thanks for your comment !!

Philippe (newbee)

Comment

Re: SBS 2000 to 2008 Migration.---really????

I have been looking for this document for a while now.

Has anybody tried this? has it worked?

especially the part where they ask us to transfer fsmo roles to Windows Server 2008 and also remove exchange 2000 from SBS 2000.Also mentioned in the document is demoting SBS 2000. is that even possible?

we would really like to demote sbs 2000 to a regular windows 2000 and keep using it for other purposes.

as regards Exchange 2000,what do we do with the pub1.edb/stm and priv1.edb/stm files?is that inconsequential? would importing pst files into individual mailboxes (newly created from Exchange 2007) suffice?

if someone could confirm what is claimed in this MS document indeed worked, it would be great.

WS

Comment

I did try this method but failed at the dcpromo.exe stage on Windows 2008 SBS Standard (as per my post "Add Windows 2008 to network as domain controller") with the following error:

The screen says "copying initial directory service database file c:\windows\system32\sbsntds.dit to c:\windows\ntds\ntds.dit"

I then get "the system cannot find the file specified" and the operation fails.

There is no sbsntds.dit in the system32 folder.

I would be interested to hear of other people's experiences and or a solution.

Cheers

Comment

The document provided by Microsoft does not work in my experience.

Yesterday I tried to perform the Windows 2000 SBS to Windows 2008 SBS migration and it failed when the new server was running DCPROM0 to become a backup DC to the original Windows 2000 SBS server.

I got this message on the new server:

"The replication operation failed because it could not allocate memory"

I find it hard to believe because the server has 4 GB of ram and the NTDS.DIT is only 30 MB in size.

I also tried to replicate from a restored copy of the system state from the Windows 2000 server to no avail. I get an error -528 , whatever that means.

The Windows 2000 SBS has had its functional level raised to Windows 2000 Native for the domain and the forest. I also ran addprep /forestprep and addprep /domainprep and they were successful.

At this stage the only solution, I can think of, is to rebuld the Windows 2008 SBS into a different forest and domain name, recreate the users, copy all the data from the old server, re do the permissions, install the apps and disjoin the workstations and rejoin them to the new domain and setup all the user profiles again. It is a big job but I only have 15 users.

I know about the swing kit migration from sbsmigration.com but my client will not pay the $200 and I do not have a temp pc to do it.

Comment

Just for the record: My "Temp PC" is a five year old laptop with 1.25GB RAM running Server 2003 in a VirtualPC with 512MB RAM.
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

From my experience I think you have to have the SBS 2003 to a native 2003 DC before you can migrate.

That would mean andy 2000 DC would fall out of the requirements for a Dommain prep to 2008

I would at looking at swinging to a 2003 solution first then migrate to a 2008 SBS.

Comment

But the OP won't pay the meagre $200 for the Swing Kit!
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Going to go a bit here but it does have bearing on a migration.

Steven, IYHO, how long does it take on average (say 15 users) to migrate from SBS2000 or SBS2003 to SBS2008?
                  How much time, again IYHO, do you think Swing Migration saves during a migration?

You probably see where I am going with this because $200 is about what 2 hours of my time was charged out at. If purchasing Swing Migration costs $200 and it saves me 3 hours of work then that superb program has paid for itself and made me look good to my client especially when everything works as it is supposed to.

If I or my client doesn't want to outlay for a $200 tax deductable item and I have to spend all my time building a new SBS2008 and then taking the time to move the data and then join the workstations to the Domain and then setup all the other nick nacks that were previously working but now aren't, how long do you think that would take and cost the client?

I have asked you because I have yet to install SBS2008 in a Production environment so I have no practical idea of an actual timeline.

Thanks.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    how long does it take on average (say 15 users) to migrate from SBS2000 or SBS2003 to SBS2008?
                    I've never used Swing, as the contracts I tend to take on are usually for companies in such a bad state I wouldn't want to risk migrating any poison over to the new system.

I recently did a job moving a company of 20 staff from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. There were 2 of us working on it and we were taking our time over the job (in our defence, fixed price not per hour ) but we got it done in a weekend working 9 - 4 both days. That included taking full backups of the old box, installing SBS on the new server, importing all of the users data and emails, flattening the old box and putting Windows Server on it, installing BES Express and reconfiguring all of the BlackBerries.
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

imho, the older the AD, the more problems it is likely to contain. When you remove objects from AD, it generally leaves a trace of these somewhere in the system.

I have migrated several times successfully from 2003 to 2008, but you are always taking the baggage from the old directory to the new. I have performed swing migrations in the past, and although they are nice and fast and everything seems to work, the same thing applies, you still have that old rubbish AD.

As it is only SBS, it is simple to document the current setup and use Exmerge to export all of the mail out into PSTs. Then create your new domain, map a drive to the new machine from the old machine, script your file copies and presto.

All that is needed then is permissions setting up on files, and visit each PC to add to the new domain.

I know this is more time consuming, but you are taking a chance with a dirty old 2000 Active Directory and it will probably cause you a lot of post installation problems.

if you do choose to buy the swing migration kit, all you get is a load if information files telling you what to do, so this can be utilised on all of your future swing migrations.

Ste
                      Steven Roberts
                      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post
                        imho, the older the AD, the more problems it is likely to contain
                        Perhaps, although it's rare for there to be a problem that can't be rectified with a bit of legwork. On small systems it's often just more efficient to start again.

Active Directory corruption is supposedly so rare that if that turns out to be your problem, Microsoft won't charge you for the support call.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

One of the "great" advantages of Swing Migration IMHO is one of the documents points to all of the on-line literature available to ensure you have a clean AD. In fact, you are advised NOT to undertake a Swing if you feel that your AD is possibly not healthy or corrupt. So before you start, ensure and correct any possible problems with AD. If they cannot be corrected - start over.

As to Biggles77's question about how much time etc. I too have few production swings under my belt (still). I can honestly say that a full swing takes up to a week to accomplish, but that is usually a net time of 2 working days. Much of the process is done off-line - I run one section and then deal with something else from a client; back to the next section of swing and make some phone calls.I have never sat down and done a swing from beginning to end. The off-line part is done in my office during the week. The on-site part is usually done on a Thursday starting at 3 o'clock (Our work week is Sun-Thurs) and goes through to close to midnight. That also leaves me to come back on Fri morning to complete, if necessary. In any case, the client is back up and running come Sunday morning.
                          As to how much time Swing saves: it is incalculable simply because I never have to touch a desktop. On a new domain, you have to join every client to the new domain and usually you have to preserve profiles. I find that with desktops, you know when you start, but you never know when you finish. You have to allow an average of 1.5-2 hrs/desktop IMHO because there will always be a number of them that need half a day's work to straighten them up! Do the maths: 10 desktops = at least a (long) day's work, if not 2. And how many clients are wiling to pay the true cost of the migration?
                          TIA

sigpic

Comment

Another point about ExMerge: Do you know that ExMerge is limited to mailboxes of 2Gb or less? Since Ex2003 SP2 blew away the 16Gb limit for Exchange databases, so mailboxes have grown similarly. Added to that, I have to deal with the fact that natively, Exmerge does not handle Hebrew fonts, so I have the added task as explained by the article on this site.
                            Futhermore, Exmerge loses me all my permissions, views, some rules, public folders, installed organisational forms etc, etc.
                            Forklifting databases and moving mailboxes is a much more elegant solution.
                            All IMHO, of course
                            Last edited by teiger; 3rd July 2010, 11:20. Reason: Typos
                            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                              I recently did a job moving a company of 20 staff from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. There were 2 of us working on it and we were taking our time over the job (in our defence, fixed price not per hour ) but we got it done in a weekend working 9 - 4 both days. That included taking full backups of the old box, installing SBS on the new server, importing all of the users data and emails, flattening the old box and putting Windows Server on it, installing BES Express and reconfiguring all of the BlackBerries.
                              apologys for the zomby thread.... but how the hell did you manage to do that in 14 hours? how many users? *Edit- oh you said 20 duh*

we've always had a whole host of little problems that suck our time with these sorts of projects.
                              printers often take a while to get working, and there's always some little app that we didn't know about and ends up being incompatible, and BES... we've pretty much refused to support anymore due to the probems it's given us.

currently working on the last little bits of a migration (new domain, as sbs migration failed) which has been nearly a week of 12hr days. mind you, most of that time has been trying to fix one of the main LOB apps - a fairly customised CRM which noone realised was going to cause so much problems going across to a new domain. had a bunch of customisations that were pointing to the old server name, permissions scattered everywhere - AD, SQL, SQL reporting service, and a custom web site as well. windows firewall gave us problems blocking the CRM website, which took us a whole day to figure out - had one of those 'duh' moments there...
                              and the usual little things - renamed a user in AD, then webmarshal decided not to like the renamed user. and the usual 'my email is bouncing' - yeah? is the address right? ... oh, oops. (you know... you've changed something, so the problem must be there)

anyway, enough wine from me. anyone got any cheese?
                              Oh - and ExMerge can be set to export from a specific date to a specific date if you've got some mailboxes that are over 2gb. though I guess your other points still stand teiger.

I've not heard of this Swing thing... I'll have to check it out/pass it onto my boss.
                              Last edited by se5a; 15th September 2011, 14:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X