No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 and Memory

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 and Memory

Hello, i'm going to install sbs 2008 with a 8gb machine. I will later on install more 8gb, will i loose any performance with the server? is it better to install with the 16gb on it or it doesen't really matter?

Best Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Re: SBS 2008 and Memory

you shouldnt lose any performance, however make sure you have enough disk space for the swap file increase, a common recommendation is 2.5x the amount of ram in the system, so that would be 40gb for a swap file

If you can put it in from the start, it would save you having to take the server offline to perform the upgrade and if its a new server, at least the supplied ram will match to reduce the chance of memory errors

Thx for the fast answer, since you are talking about swap file, witch is the best way to set up the wap file, windows controles it, of you normaly define a minim and max ?

You should manually set it. Set the min and max to the same number to keep it from being fragmented. The recommendation is 1.5 to 2x the amount of physical RAM.

I NEVER allow Windows to control the size of the swap file on a server. If it starts at a certain size and wants to grow, then you are almost certailnly never assured of contiguous disk space for it. That means you end up with a defragmented swap file and during the course of normal work, the disk head jumping all over the place just to read/write from/to th eswap file - something that is bound to degrade performance.

As for the figures banded about for the size, I know it used to be 1.5 X RAM size, but I am not sure that is relevant any more for such capacities of memory in 64-bit.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.