Exchange SBS 2003 Unable to receive emails from certain domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange SBS 2003 Unable to receive emails from certain domains

I was called into assist a friend who's exchange server was setup by someone else. Issue is that emails from certain domains are not coming through on the exchange server. Yahoo business is used for hosting and the emails come in on that side but not on at the exchange server.

DNS settings (values separated by "/" for display purposes here)

Type / Source / Destination
    A Record / exchange.xxx.com / 75.xxx.xxx.xxx
    A Record / xxx.com / Yahoo IP Address
    CName Record / *.xxx.com / Yahoo Hostname
    CName / Record mail.xxx.com / Yahoo Hostname

MX Records / Priority
    exchange.xxx.com / 10
    mx01.biz.mail.yahoo.com / 20
    mx02.biz.mail.yahoo.com / 30

Checked all the settings on the firewall and exchange server and all seem fine.

Anyone have any suggestions what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Re: Exchange SBS 2003 Unable to receive emails from certain domains

Are people in the affected domains getting NDRs when sending to this server?
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I have been told that people in the affected domains get NDRs about 7-10 days later.

Since emails from the affected domains come in everyday and are important, I cannot remove the yahoo MX records and wait for the sender to get NDR.

Comment

7-10 days generally suggests unreachability issues, or repeated timeouts. Anything else normally comes back more quickly. Can the affected server send to these domains without issue?
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes, the affected server can send out emails to these domains without issue.

Comment

so the emails reach the Yahoo mail hosting service, but that's as far as they go ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, they get to the yahoo hosting email account but not to the exchange server.

Comment

try sending email to your domain from a Yahoo account... even if it means creating yourself a fake one.

See what happens then..

have you checked things like the Intelligent Message Filter ? I know that our server drops them automatically and doesn't even notify the sender..

none of them appear in your message tracking centre at all ?
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I sent a test email from a yahoo account to the domain account and received it.

I have checked Intelligent Message Filter and setting seem fine. Checked Message Tracking Center as well and none from domain that I am expecting emails.

Comment

do you have another device in front of Exchange at all?

Comment

There was a x5 firewall, which I thought might be causing the problem. So I replaced it with a dlink router. But that didn't help. Dlink router is still in place.

Comment

Are you on any blacklists for spam etc, that the domains that cannot send check against?
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I went through several blacklist check sites and all of them reported negative - that is not blacklisted.

Comment

Here's a thought: are the domains you are sending to using greylisting? If they are I would expect delays and NDRs, although the messages should get through eventually.
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Based on what you are saying it seems to be referring to outgoing emails. Outgoing emails are working fine.

The issue is with incoming emails from certain domains.

Comment

Working...
                              X