No announcement yet.

Advice- Dell PowerEdge T100

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice- Dell PowerEdge T100

Does Anyone Have A Dell PowerEdge T100, Are they reliable?

Is it Worth getting ? to run sbs ?

Re: Advice- Dell PowerEdge T100

Far too open a question!

How many users?
    How much storage?
    How much redundancy do you need?
    Any server based applications you need?

Look at (as a bare minimum)
    RAID 1 or RAID 5
    4Gb RAM
    Second NiC for firewalling
    Some sort of backup solution
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Around 5 users
      around 1tb of storage
      a second nic for firewalling

VERY limited for future expandibility. Note that you can only fit 2 HDD drives in there, for a max of 2TB with current technology that Dell offer.
        cant' do any real RAID levels (1 or 0 only)

it looked cheap initially, then i started adding some real hardware to it and got it up to 1600 euro.

It is a reasonable quality server for a small organisation though... I've got a SC430 on my desk here that's about 3 years old.. does it's job quite well.. but then i've never really tried to load it down..

still.. for 5 users, running SBS, with 8GB of RAM, sure, i'd suggest it and implement it for a client.
        I'd want to throw in an after-market adaptor with a removable hard drive caddy (or external drive) to allow for backups.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

If you want SBS 2008 and the ability to expand/upgrade, then I would look at the T300 model, can handle SBS 2008, has a hotswap chassis for ease of changing drives should you experience a failure, hardware raid etc..

I wouldn't really use a T100 as a single server. They're OK, just not much room for expansion. One of our customers uses one as a portable WDS server, the IT guy takes it in his car to whatever site he needs to go to.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            Cruachan's Blog