Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS redelivers messages to local users

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, although used it for info before and found it very helpful.

this time however I have a problem that I cannot find an answer to anywhere so I thought I'll post it here.

I run a network with around 10 workstations and a SBS 2003 standard machine. Everything in it is pretty standard. It also uses pop3 connector from Native POP3 connector to download emails from my isp.

The problem only happens every now and then (around 5 times a month) and there is nothing in common that would trigger it between happenings.
    The problem is that emails get redelivered to local users. So for instance a user will receive an email, reply to it and some time later (1 day, 2 days, few weeks) the original message is redelivered to that user. In the Message tracking system I can see the message being delivered twice but I cannot figure out the reason for it.

any ideas?

please let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful in solving this problem.

Thanks in advance

Danny

Re: SBS redelivers messages to local users

In general, this usually means that the session betwwen the client (in this case your SBS2003) and your ISP is ending before the delete comand is being sent. First of all, bump up the logging on your server to maximum and follow the event logs (they will be pretty chatty) to see what happens each session. How often are you connecting? once an hour or every 15 mins or less? Also check for rules on the clients that are not "looping the messages back to the ISP". Finally, as always, check that the server has the latest updates, as several have corrected errors with the POP3 connector (but not the Bcc problem!)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Teiger,

thanks for your reply.

the messages are downloaded every 1 minute during working hours.

I can say that the messages do get deleted from ISP. I've logged in thru webmail directly to email account on ISP and the messages are not there. The problem is definitely at the SBS2003 level. I can also say that users are not looping messages back to ISP (to tell you the truth I'm not even sure how could that happen).

One thing is that there are few updates needing to be done on the server. Last time it was updated was at the end of January 2009, so hopefully that will help, although I'm not sure it will.

Do you mean to turn up logging on the server itself or on the Native POP3 Connector to see what happens between sbs2003 and my isp?

Cheers

Comment

Are you using the built in POP3 connector? It only allows download every 15 mins as a maximum, unless you changed the registry - in which case you are unsupported.
        I meant in my previous post to turn up the logging on the POP3 connector - sorry if that was not clear.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Hi Teiger,

no, I'm not using the built in pop3 connector.

I'm using Native POP3 Connector (www.mapilab.com/exchange/pop3_connector/).
          The reason is exactly that the build in pop3 connector would only allow to download messages every 15 minutes and that is not frequent enough for my sales staff.

anyway, do you think it could be the pop3 connector's fault?

Comment

Sorry missed the Native as opposed to the native (ie built-in)

Can you turn it off and try the builtin one? Configure it for a couple of mailboxes only and try it for a few hours. There is a reason that the "native" POP connector only connects every 15 mins and that is that one session may not finish before a new one is due to start, causing a mess, choking the mail and generally having problems like yours!

On the other hand, if your salesmen are so desperate to get their mail that same second (why is it that salesmen are the same the world over ) then you should really consider going over to using SMTP for delivery. Believe me, it is not that hard and has benefits like being able to use the built-in IMF to reduce spam and help the junk mail filters in Outlook to work better.
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X