Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS install woes

Hey everyone,
    I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on a very frustrating problem that I'm having. I wanted to set up an sbs 2008 test machine in my shop. I purchased the 4 dvd trial copy from MS and have attempted to load it on to a Dell vostro 220s with a 2.4ghz pentium dual core processor, 250 gig hdd, 4 gigs of ram and intel onboard video.

When I boot to the install DVD I am asked about licensing and disk setup, once install begins I then get the following error message "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070017"

Has anyone encountered this problem with sbs 2008 before? It seems like when it occurs during a vista install, this usually means that the installation media is bad. Is there a way to contact MS customer service about faulty media that doesn't involve spending ~$100 to get an answer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: SBS install woes

Can you read the media correctly on another machine? When you say you got it from Microsoft, can you not just speak to the sales dept and get it sorted as it should be replaced for free I would think.
    You could also try copying the contents of the DVD to disk and installing from there maybe?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Can you read the media correctly on another machine? When you say you got it from Microsoft, can you not just speak to the sales dept and get it sorted as it should be replaced for free I would think.
      You could also try copying the contents of the DVD to disk and installing from there maybe?

Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't tried any of those steps, and they seem painfully obvious now that you point them out. Thanks, I'll try these out tomorrow.

Comment

Or you could try to download it from here.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post

Ok, so, step by step here's what I've got:

Tried to read the disk in another machine, no problem, can open, explore and start the autorun exe

I still can't find a contact number or email address for MS that doesn't come with a $100+ price tag to get an answer, as this is a server product it seems that the only support available is server support, if anyone knows of a general support number that could help with possibly bad install media I would appreciate it

Media-less install doesn't seem to be an option, everything I can find states that SBS 2008 can only install from a DVD

any other ideas?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by jasonja View Post
            Tried to read the disk in another machine, no problem, can open, explore and start the autorun exe
            That doesn't seem to mean that you actually tried to boot and install it on another computer. If the DVD is defective, you probably didn't hit the same sector when browsing it in Explorer on another computer. Do you have another computer that you can test installing it on?

Here's a novel idea. Can you rip the ISO from the DVD(s) and then reburn it to a different DVD? Make sure to burn it at a slow speed (x4 for example).

Originally posted by jasonja View Post
            I still can't find a contact number or email address for MS that doesn't come with a $100+ price tag to get an answer, as this is a server product it seems that the only support available is server support, if anyone knows of a general support number that could help with possibly bad install media I would appreciate it
            I just searched around a bit and came up empty. I'll let you know if I find anything though.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Or download a new ISO (burn it to a DVD at the slowest speed possible). I already posted the link.
              Alternatively, if you bought it, return to the place you bought it from and request a replacement copy.
              TIA

sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                Alternatively, if you bought it, return to the place you bought it from and request a replacement copy.
                I think that is the crux of the problem. If my understanding is correct, he ordered the trial DVDs from this link and he cannot find any contact information for who he would contact to return it.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  I think that is the crux of the problem. If my understanding is correct, he ordered the trial DVDs from this link and he cannot find any contact information for who he would contact to return it.

That is my problem exactly. MS don't seem to actually provide direct, non subscription customer support for server software sales, even over issues with trial media.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                    Or download a new ISO (burn it to a DVD at the slowest speed possible). I already posted the link.
                    Downloading the 4 disks at 3 gigs per iso is not an option. I purchased the trial media directly from microsoft and there does not appear to be any way to contact them to arrange a return.

Comment

I apologise in advance for being a bit thick here. Why can't you download the iso. After all, you have presumably only one bad disk and 3 good ones. Even on dial-up you could have downloaded one iso image in the 3 days that this thread has been going on.
                      Wait a minute. Dell Laptop you said (insert lightbulb icon!) Is there a hidden partition on the start of the disk? Dell often puts hidden configuration partitions on the disk. Use a BartPE or similar utility to examine your laptop disk. If there is a hidden partition - WIPE IT . Then your installation may work!!
                      Alternatively, putting your error code in seems to suggest many things from BIOS settings to video drivers can affect the install
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

Go into the bios and change from ACHI to ATA on the hard drive settings.

Comment

Originally posted by jocol View Post
                          Go into the bios and change from ACHI to ATA on the hard drive settings.
                          This can be an issue when trying to install XP on SATA equiped hardware. SBS2008 like Vista has the appropriate drivers builtin.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I want to thank everyone who has made suggestions for their time in replying to my post. I spent several hours the other day swapping out hardware, copying the DVD and trying any number of other possible fixes...when on an off chance I flipped install disk #1 over and noticed an almost imperceptible film like from some kind of glue or adhesive stuck to the underside of the disk close to the outer edge. Got this removed, tried the install again and there we have it. Bad handling in packaging seems to be the culprit.

Thanks again.

Comment

DOH!!

Thanks for posting back! Sometimes it's the simple things that cause the biggest headaches.
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X