Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

    Hi

    We have an SBS 2003 on network 192.168.0.x Class C (site A); we have a remote site with 1 file server and 25 clients on network 172.16.0.x class C (site B). Both sites are connected through leased lines.

    At the moment, these are 2 domains but I want to merge them to 1 domain.

    Problem is that I cannot add the clients from site B into the domain of site A. I get the error : no connection can be made with domain controller in the domain xxxxxx . Check if the name is correct ...
    In site A all clients / servers are added into the domain so I guess it is a DNS problem but I do not know where to start.

    The clients in site B are already using the exchange server and print server of site A, so connectivity is not the problem.

    Can someone point me into the right direction.

    Kind regards

    Bert

  • #2
    Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

    I'm not an SBS expert but generally with windows migration, you'd need to setup a trust between the domains and used ADMT.

    You'd then ensure DNS has conditional forwarders setup pointing at the other domain's DNS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

      So it is not possible to add only the clients of site B in the domain of site A. I first need to migrate the server in site B to the domain of site A with ADMT?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

        Originally posted by bertk View Post
        So it is not possible to add only the clients of site B in the domain of site A. I first need to migrate the server in site B to the domain of site A with ADMT?
        You can do by removing them from the current domain and then joining them to the other domain but you then have to re-create user accounts etc. You would be best to migrate using ADMT.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

          Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          You can do by removing them from the current domain and then joining them to the other domain but you then have to re-create user accounts etc. You would be best to migrate using ADMT.
          Accounts are already created on domain of site A as people from domain B are using the exchange from site A. The problem, as described in my initial message, is that the clients from site B cannot be added into the domain of site A. So I guess this problem should be solved first.

          back to start

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

            I get what you're trying to do:

            Site B users have accounts in the Site A domain already. they log on to their computers with Site B accounts and then authenticate to Site A resources using Site A user accounts. You now want to join the Site B computers to the Site A domain. Am I correct?

            If so, add the Site A DNS servers to your Site B DNS servers as conditional forwarders. When joining the Site B computers to the Site A domain specify the DNS FQDN name of the Site A domain rather than the NetBios name.

            The problem you're having is because the Site B computers don't know how to contact the Site A DNS and DC servers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

              Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              I get what you're trying to do:

              Site B users have accounts in the Site A domain already. they log on to their computers with Site B accounts and then authenticate to Site A resources using Site A user accounts. You now want to join the Site B computers to the Site A domain. Am I correct?

              If so, add the Site A DNS servers to your Site B DNS servers as conditional forwarders. When joining the Site B computers to the Site A domain specify the DNS FQDN name of the Site A domain rather than the NetBios name.

              The problem you're having is because the Site B computers don't know how to contact the Site A DNS and DC servers.
              Exactly! Now I have been trying in the past to get those 2 domains talking to eachother without luck. Site A is SBS2003, site B is W2K Server.
              How and where do I add site A DNS on site B server as a "conditiononal forwarder".

              I did add site A dns server to the reverse lookup zone of site B. I also need to add site B DNS server to reverse lookup zone of site A?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

                You don't need to do anything with the reverse lookup zones.

                Go to the properties of your DNS server for each site, right click the DNS server and select properties from the context menu, select the forwarders tab, click the "New" button, type in the DNS FQDN of the other sites domain and click "OK", now with the other domain highlighted in the "DNS domain" field add the other domains DNS server ip addresses.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

                  Do you have a site-to-site VPN? Hw are the sites connected?
                  There are some good articles on www.smallbizserver.net on connecting remote offices (subscriptionmay be required)
                  TIA

                  Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

                  We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

                    Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    You don't need to do anything with the reverse lookup zones.

                    Go to the properties of your DNS server for each site, right click the DNS server and select properties from the context menu, select the forwarders tab, click the "New" button, type in the DNS FQDN of the other sites domain and click "OK", now with the other domain highlighted in the "DNS domain" field add the other domains DNS server ip addresses.
                    hi, i added the forwarder (although in site B, 2000 domain) it is only possible to add the ip address, not the name. On site A I also added the forwarder.

                    When trying to connect a client from siteB to site A I get the error:

                    De Service Location (SRV)-bronrecord is met succes opgevraagd uit DNS voor het vinden van een domeincontroller voor het domein ntgheysd:\r
                    -->Meaning: SRV source record was found succesfully from DNS for domain SITE A

                    De query was voor de SRV-record van _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ntgheysd
                    De volgende doemincontrollers zijn in de query gevonden:
                    ntgheys.ntgheysd
                    -->The following DC's are found in the query: domain SITE A

                    Mogelijke oorzaken van deze fout zijn:
                    1. Host (A)-records die de naam van de domeincontroller koppelen aan IP-adressen ontbreken of bevatten onjuiste adressen.
                    2. De domeincontrollers die in DNS zijn geregistreerd zijn niet met het netwerk verbonden of werken niet.
                    --> Possible errors:
                    1. HOST A records are missing are incorrect
                    2. DC's that are registered in DNS are not connected to the network are don't work

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: SBS 2003 - add clients from different network

                      Originally posted by teiger View Post
                      Do you have a site-to-site VPN? Hw are the sites connected?
                      There are some good articles on www.smallbizserver.net on connecting remote offices (subscriptionmay be required)
                      Hi

                      This site is connected through leased lines (SITE A - SITE B). We do have VPN sites that can connect without problems to the domain of site A. Although these small sites do not have their own server.

                      Regards

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X