Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with internet connection using SBS

Hi,

I have the following problem. I have a SBS2003 server and all the computers in the office is under a domain managed by the SBS. We are connected to the internet with an ADSL Line through a Linksys Wifi router. Internet works fine. The problem is when I try to connect my laptop, which is also under the domain, to the internet at home with an Ethernet Adsl modem, I can see the interface with my browser (192.168.1.1) but I can't access the internet! Same thing if I use a wifi dongle connected to a wimax connection, no internet connection! It is not only my laptop but all the PCs at the office that are under the domain.

By the way, I am the administrator and I have all privileges.

Does anyone have an idea?

Many thanks in advance...

LF

PS: No ISA installed and no proxies either

Re: Help with internet connection using SBS

Are the settings on your network card(s) set to automatic?
    Do you have a proxy setup within the Internet Exporer settings?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for trying to help me, really need it, getting crazy with ths issue!

Yes the settings on my laptop's network card are set to automatic, but I always have the same IP Address on the LAN here (192.168.15.50), is this normal?

No proxies are set up...

Comment

Yeah that is fine.

When you are connected externally then we need to determine a few things.
        1. Other devices can use that connection successfully.
        2. You can ping the router/device (I think you have already confirmed this).
        3. You have valid DNS servers (ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt should show this).
        4. You can ping by name www.google.com
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Here is the result of a ipconfig/all:
          It's in French

Carte PPP New Profile1 :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion :
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
          Adresse physique . . . . . . . . .: 00-53-45-00-00-00
          DHCP activé. . . . . . . . . . . : Non
          Adresse IP. . . . . . . . .*. . . : 10.11.77.159
          Masque de sous-réseau . . .*. . . : 255.255.255.255
          Passerelle par défaut . . .*. . . : 10.11.77.159
          Serveurs DNS . . . . . . . . . . : 196.192.4.4
          Serveur WINS principal. . . . . .*: 10.11.12.13
          Serveur WINS secondaire . . . . .*: 10.11.12.14
          NetBIOS sur TCPIP. . . . . . . . : Désactivé

I can ping the default gateway (Passerelle par defaut), but I can't ping any of the 2 DNS Servers...

I can also ping the device (10.11.77.159)

Comment

No idea?
            This is really very weird...

Comment

Give people a chance please!
              Everyone here gives up their own free time to help solve problems, so we cannot deal with everything to a schedule"

Microsoft support (have your credit card handy) may help you quicker
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by chayolle View Post
                Here is the result of a ipconfig/all:
                It's in French

Adresse IP. . . . . . . . .*. . . : 10.11.77.159
                Masque de sous-réseau . . .*. . . : 255.255.255.255
                Passerelle par défaut . . .*. . . : 10.11.77.159
                Are you sure? Your IP address is the same as your gateway! So that would explain you being able to ping "it". I think you should try to get a new address for your laptop and then see what happens...
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Didn't noticed it, but I can't configure the gateway. The device is an USB 3G Modem and I can only set the IP Address and 2 Dns Servers. When I give a different address it actually gives the same address for the gateway, quite weird.

By the way, thanks for helping guys... and sorry for the precedent post ("No idea?")

Cheers,

Laurent

Comment

Wait a minute. Are you asking why your laptop cannot connect to the Internet when you are OFF the LAN? Then this is nothing to do with SBS per se. This is the configuration of your local laptop!
                    The only connection may be that if you didn't use the //server/connectcomputer wizard to join your laptop to the domain, you may not have the proper on-domain/off-domain policies configured correctly, and you may be blocked by the local firewall.
                    Alternatively, check the Network Location Awareness (NLA) service on the laptop that it is set to automatic and started, so that if the correct policies are configured they are applied.
                    TIA

sigpic
                    I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Well, I don't know how the laptop joined the domain, I wasn't there, I'm new in this job, and actually also new to networking & server admin. I was actually a developper but I didn't like that, that's why I changed.

I don't know what is the //server/connectcomputer wizard, and for the NLA, it was actually running but in Manual start mode, I changed it to automatic...

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                        The only connection may be that if you didn't use the //server/connectcomputer wizard to join your laptop to the domain, you may not have the proper on-domain/off-domain policies configured correctly, and you may be blocked by the local firewall.
                        What can I do to check this or do it correctly?

Thanks for your help by the way...

Comment

You could disconnect it (make sure you know the local admin password first) and reconnect it. After disconnecting it, use the Add Computer Wizard in the server manager. Then, making sure you have only one network card active on your laptop (temporarily disable wireless and bluetooth), use IE to connect with //<server>/connectcomputer. You will need the username and password for the domain, and the machine will reboot itself a couple of times after you have answered all the questions.

HTH
                          TIA

sigpic

Comment

Ok Teiger, many thanks, but will this change all my computer settings, my documents etc?

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks, just did it and it still does not work. Really desperate at this time...

Thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X