SBS2008 fix my network no longer works after teaming 2 network adaptores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2008 fix my network no longer works after teaming 2 network adaptores

SBS2008 New Installation. Server Dell PowerEdge 2900 with 2 networks adaptores (Intell Extreme Giaga II).
    The fix my network option worked fine with one Adptor installed. After I made a team from the two networks adptores using BSAD from Intel, the Fix My network from the Console stopped working, actually it damaged the configuration of the team network adaptor and disabled them. I need the Fix my network option because it renew the Certificate for the Server.

Any help
    asslan at gmail dot com
    Last edited by biggles77; 24th March 2009, 12:07. Reason: remove live email

Re: SBS2008 fix my network no longer works after teaming 2 network adaptores

Is the server fully patched and do you have the latest firmware, software and drivers for the cards?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, I have applied all updates from Microsoft and all Updates including firmware from Dell Inc. Actually I suspect the updates from microsoft are making the problem. see my other problem in the thread (Faild to Update Security Policy after applying updates ).

asslan AT gmail dot com
      Last edited by ahinson; 31st March 2009, 15:40.

Comment

Hi,

as far as i know SBS 2008 is designed to be installed with a single network adapter. if it detects multiple adapters it will disable them. if you try to work with more than one you get the issues as far as i know there is no workaround.

Marco

Comment

Known problem. Not supported. See Sean Daniel's comment in http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...-topology.aspx

So you could go back to un-teaming them, run the wizard(s) then re-team them, I suppose!
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

CAN I do it differently ??????
            Can I connect One NIC to the Switch on the first floor, and the Other NIC to the second Switch on the second floor. ???
            I know that SBS2008 does not support 2 NICS, Also I cannot team the two NICs becuse SBS2008 does not support teaming. I need to work with 2 NICs and Two Switchs in one Network so each segment sees the other segment and shre the same resources in the office.

Comment

Are they different VLAN's or subnets then? If so, why not set up a cheap pc as a router? If not then why don't you have your switches properly connected? In a single VLAN or subnet you don't need a dual homed box to route traffic between switches. You need to have one switch physically connected to the other.

Comment

YES I now, the two switches are bridged now and connected to one NIC, want be better if I use both NIC's to improve the traffic on the network. If each NIC is connected to different Switch, how do I config the two NICs on the server, can the server have 2 IP's one for each NIC, or there is some kind of software that make them see each other ????

Comment

You CAN team them so that they appear as ONE NIC to SBS - it is just that the wizards won't run on them that way.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

OK .... I gave-up .....
                    I know I can team then unteam to fix the network then team again ...
                    This is not a solution ......

There must be a way to connect each NEc to different Switch, and each switch will see the other including the gatway and shared resource.

Comment

Listen, you're really going down the wrong road here. Is your goal to connect each NIC to a different switch in order to "bridge" the switches together. In that case, you're trying to turn the server into a router (which can be done) but previously you said that the switches were already connected together.

If you're trying to connect the server to both switches so that clients on each switch have a "direct" connection to the server, that's not the way networking works. You're not going to "double" your throughput to the server by doing this. It's going to make a mess for too many reasons to list here, but here's a few: you'll create un unintentionally segmented network, you'll create problems with your DNS records, you'll create name resolution problems for the clients, etc., etc.

If on the other hand you're trying to create a fault tolerant NIC team, then only one NIC will be active at a time.

If you're trying to create a Link Aggregation NIC team to increase the size of the link to the server, then both NIC's need to be connected to the same switch.

As far as the "extra" NIC being wasted, it's not. It's available to be used if you're setting up the server to be a router or a RRAS server, for the appropriate type of teaming, etc. But it seems that's not what you're trying to do.

The spare tire in my trunk is not being "wasted", it's there in case I get a flat. I'm not trying to make my car drive on 5 wheels just so I can put my spare tire to use.

Comment

Working...
                      X