Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 (years later!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 (years later!)

I have a client who for some reason decided not to install Exchange during the intial SBS 2003 install some years ago. They have many ADC users and are happily working away with Sharepoint Services 2.0 (WSSSP3) and all their email is POP3 from a 3rd party.

They now want to have shared calendars and resource scheduling/booking and therefore want to install Exchange 2003 as part of the SBS product.

1. I assume simply re-running SBS setup (from control panel) will allow me to reinstall with Exchange 2003?

2. I assume that Exchange 2003 SP2 will need to be installed prior to trying any configuration. Any other Service Packs needed?

3. Are there any other gotcha's- I don't want to break their Sharepoint server!

4. I realise any new users will get the appropriate email structures in AD once Exchange is installed- but I cannot see existing users suddenly being email enabled unless the SBS wizard does something for them- Will existing users in SBS AD get a default email enabled account after Exchange is installed? If not- what has to happen to make them email enabled?

I've had plenty of experience deploying SBS but never WITHOUT Exchange so this scenario is new to me. Any assistance would be appreciated.

-Daz

Re: Installing Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 (years later!)

No takers?? Hmm... will just have to go on my gut feeling. Hope I don't stuff up Sharepoint!

Comment

I guess the best thing I can say is make sure you backup beforehand. The main idea is that it should work without issue.
      Personally speaking it may be better to setup a test first if you can. Vague answer, sorry!
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I think you are good to go. I would always question an installation that does not install Exchange from the beginning and wonder "what else have they scr3w3d up". OTOH, they are using SharePoint for their Collaboration, so it seems to be OK. One thing I would check for, though is if SharePoint will alow them to link (calendars and contacts) to Outlook after you install Exchange. I somehow have a feeling those links will be missing.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          "what else have they scr3w3d up".
          Yeah- it was initially done by one of their own 'technical workers'- they still won't submit that they need a UPS or a proper backup system- get the picture!

Anyway- was told option to install Exchange was just unticked during SBS install but how it really was done will remain a mystery.

I take your point about the links in Sharepoint, but I'm pretty certain there is a script for putting those back if they get broken.

My main concern is how I can 'mail enable' existing users If I have to delete & recreate every user to get them 'Exchange enabled' it will add a very large labor component to this task - eg migrating profiles on every computer etc. I'm trying to be fair about the quote I give them - but this is an unknown for me.

Comment

Normally, to mail enable an existing user you would right click the user object in ADUC, select Exchange Tasks from the context menu, and then select the appropriate Exchange task. I don't know how it works in SBS or in your particular situation but I can't imagine it would be any different.

Comment

MVM.

For some reason "Exchange Tasks" is not exposed Manage Users tree in SBS Server Management Console. But it is there in ADUC, and allows me to Create a Mailbox for a non-mail enable User. I have done this before, but I get so used to doing things the 'SBS way'- I can't believe I didn't think to look there!

Thanks heaps!

Comment

Actually there is a UTFW way from the server manager console. Go into Users and click on "Change Users Permissions". It will:
                - Create a mailbox
                - Create a home folder
                - Configures security group membership
                - Configures distribution group membership
                - Configures Sharepoint access
                - Configures disk quota

It does the above by either replacing or adding permissions based on pre-defined templates, so I believe adding will be good in your case.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  "Change Users Permissions". It will:
                  - Create a mailbox
                  - Create a home folder
                  - Configures security group membership
                  - Configures distribution group membership
                  - Configures Sharepoint access
                  - Configures disk quota
                  Why didn't I think of that?- so obvious really from the name "Change Users Permissions" that it would do all those things! .... Good one Microsoft! NOT!

I like your solution Teiger! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1TB View Post
                    Yeah- it was initially done by one of their own 'technical workers'- they still won't submit that they need a UPS or a proper backup system- get the picture!
                    For your own protection, advise them in writing (send to multiple mangers etc ) the dangers of NOT having a UPS or a proper backup. Boil it down to dollar terms what it would cost the company if you physically had to reinstall everything from scratch and ask them if their business would survive if they lost their financial data. Then give them a costing what a UPS and a backup system (5 USB 2.5" HDDs or a RAID1 NAS box) would cost them.

www.anyware.com.au has a special on UPS devices at the moment.

I shudder to think what thier Server hardware is comprised of. :shudder:
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      For your own protection, advise them in writing (send to multiple mangers etc )
                      Yes I've done this now 3 times in writing and just about every time I talk with them I remind them. If you knew what the company did then it would make you laugh at the fact that they don't have a UPS! - but then that would be giving away too much info about them.

Their server hardware is a name brand entry level box and despite having RAID 1 capability the original installer appears to have opted for no mirror. Many of their client pc's have never been joined to domain, so authentication issues abound... etc.

I think the problem is that a little knowledge and a reluctance to spend money on good IT has them where they are today. I don't think they even realised the potential benefits of Outlook/Exchange vs Outlook/POP3 with their ISP mail provider- they absolutely need shared resources and shared calendars - but didn't know what that meant for their business. Similarly they have remote offices and a need for a central document library- enter Sharepoint (again they knew nothing about it a the start.)

Unfortunately, we don't always have the luxury of building a new server from scratch - and in this case I am only able to find out about the evolution of the site in small bites as the customer dictates. So it's a slow process.. but I'm chipping away at it.

Thanks again to all the posters on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X