Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem connecting laptop to new SBS 2008 domain

Hi all,

I have just installed SBS 2008 and connected most of the computers using the http://connect. This has worked on all of them apart from one laptop. When I run the tool it gets to the part that asks to "Move existing user data and settings". It says that it's found existing user data that it can move and provides a dropdown of users for me to select which user to move their data. However the dropdown is empty and my only option is none. I've checked the user accounts and non are password protected, the laptop is Windows XP Pro SP3 and all the user accounts are administrators of the laptop. The laptop is currently joined to a workgroup called workgroup. It's not attached to any other active directory domain. I've checked to see if the users files are marked as private and they are not. It seems a bit odd that it can obviously find files but can't list the user account names that it has found. Is there a reason for this ? At the moment I can't join the laptop to the new SBS 2008 domain and I'm at a loss to what the problem might be. Can anyone help or provide some advice on why this is happening and how I can use the tool for migrating the laptop ?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Problem connecting laptop to new SBS 2008 domain

Hi it has something todo with the profile try to create a local
    profile, and then copy the old domain profile to the local profile just created
    and run the wizard again. it should work.

Comment

Hi mhoogev,

The profile is already a local one, that's the problem. I'll copy the existing local profile to another one and see what happens then.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Hi mhoogev,

Just created a new user in control panel and ran the connect tool and it found that new account no problem. However I then tried to copy the other local profile that the connect tool could not find to the new local profile and found that I got an error during copying the profile. When I click CopyTo in the old profile it tells me that their are files and folders that are too long and the profile can not be copied.

Anyone got any ideas how I can copy the profile without having to find the files with the long names and deleting them one by one ?

I suspect the long filenames are causing the problem with the connect tool performing the domain join as well.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X