No announcement yet.

Possible to use dcpromo to demote/rename/promote new DC?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to use dcpromo to demote/rename/promote new DC?

I have an existing site with two SBS2003 boxes currently running as file servers, FS1 and FS2. I am going to be taking FS1 down and want to replace it with FS2. However, all of the users are currently mapping to FS1 so I would like to rename FS2 to FS1. Will it cause any issues if I use DCPROMO with the following steps:

1. Demote FS2
    2. Rename FS2 to FS1_temp
    3. Migrate data to FS1_temp
    4. Demote FS1
    5. Rename FS1_temp to FS1 and promote to DC

These two FS are not the only DC. There are 4 other sites that are connected via VPN tunnels so I can replicate AD over the VPN from one of the other DC's. Does anyone see any problems with this method?

Thank you,

Re: Possible to use dcpromo to demote/rename/promote new DC?

You cannot demote an SBS server - you can use the MS migration method using ADMT which will change your server name and your domain, or, as I recommend strongly in your case - as you have other DC's, use swing migration. You can use a temp DC but you could also use one of your existing DC's as the "swing" DC - preferably brought on site to avoid VPN issues.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.