Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After updates, DNS is broken

This is the message I get when attempting to start:

The DNS server could not listen on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) socket for address 0.0.0.0. The event data is the error code. An IP address of 0.0.0.0 can indicate a valid "any address" configuration in which all configured IP addresses on the computer are available for use.
    Restart the DNS server or reboot the computer.

and then:

The DNS server could not open socket for address 0.0.0.0.
    Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parmeters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.)

If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.

I can't get to the properties of the DNS server to even see what address it's trying to bind to. Everything worked fine before a group of updates were installed. The machine is a SBS and has NAT to deal with the outside interface.

I have checked the DNS and there is no key for listenaddress in the DNS service. Also, in services, it says DNS is started, but I can't get into it. The DNS service MMC just has a red X through it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: After updates, DNS is broken

Have you already carried out what the messages say?

Comment

This patch?
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961063

You could uninstall and reboot then see if things work?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        Have you already carried out what the messages say?
        Well I can't get to the DNS server properties...there's only one tab available when I choose properties and it's not the one that binds specific IP addresses to the server. I tried to location in the registry that it mentioned, but like I said, there was no key in the registry, so there's nothing to change.

Comment

You can restart DNS via the services msc. Also, have you restarted the server since updating?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            You can restart DNS via the services msc. Also, have you restarted the server since updating?
            Yeah, it's weird. In the services.msc panel, it show the DNS server as "started". However, when you to go the DNS MMC, there's a big red X through the server name. I've restarted DNS from the services.msc and the MMC with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              This patch?
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961063

You could uninstall and reboot then see if things work?
              This actually allowed the DNS server to start. however, now my forward lookup zone for the domain is gone. I have this in the logs:

The DNS server was unable to open Active Directory. This DNS server is configured to obtain and use information from the directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and reload the zone. The event data is the error code.

I tried to recreate the primary domain zone, but I got a message that the AD service couldn't be contacted???
              Last edited by frist44; 16th March 2009, 13:05.

Comment

Are you in the UK, or using a .co.uk domain? Have you checked for further updates? If all else fails, i would try uninstalling the update as previously suggested, reboot and check again.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  Are you in the UK, or using a .co.uk domain? Have you checked for further updates? If all else fails, i would try uninstalling the update as previously suggested, reboot and check again.
                  I'm not in the UK. As mentioned below, I uninstalled the DNS update and it helped. Are you saying uninstall all of them?

Comment

I restarted again and it's back to the original problem where DNS can't bind to an address...

ugh....i don't know where to go now.

Comment

One of the first errors is :

The DNS server could not signal the service "NAT". The error was 1168. There may be interoperability problems between the DNS service and this service.

I just tried to uninstall every update that was installed yesterday, but that did no good either. The DNS server won't load anything now.

Comment

Can you post here an "ipconfig /all" of your server? Maybe we can help from there.
                        TIA

sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Have you recently changed from 2 NICs to 1? See:
                          http://www.eggheadcafe.com/aspnet_an...st26755149.asp (Got by on your above message)
                          TIA

sigpic

Comment

OK. So i removed all the updates that were installed and installed them again. DNS now starts up with the proper domain zones, but I'm still getting errors about not being able to contact Active Directory. Here's the ipconfig.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : adjres.local

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : adjres.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC320i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-78-08-FD-F6

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

Ethernet adapter Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC110T PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-71-EA-C6-CB

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : [public IP]

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : [public gateway]

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.2.2.2

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

The server has always had 2 nics.

Comment

Working...
                            X