Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP by SBS does not work on clients

This one is a strange one.
    I have setup a SBS2003 to act as a DHCP server.
    The clients do get their ip addresses from the DHCP server without any issues, the strange this is that they cannot access the internet when they are assigned using DHCP.

If I change the clients from using DHCP ip addresses to fixe ip address within in the same scope which the DHCP server assigned to them, then it works (they can access the internet).

The server have 2 network cards to handle WAN and LAN.

I hope someone can give me a hint on what to do here, as I am starting to loose hair on this one

Best regards,
    Kristoffer

Re: DHCP by SBS does not work on clients
    • Are the clients receiving the proper default gateway and DNS servers?
    • What all DHCP options are you handing out?
    • What does a tracert to an internet IP address show?
    • What does a ipconfig /all show when your clients receive a DHCP lease?
    • What does a ipconfig /all show when you manually configure things?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hi Nonapeptide,

Believe it or not......

I actually overlooked the options page on the DHCP Server options.

I am running Exchange, ftp, file and vpn, what settings would you recommend to set?

Best regards,
      Kristoffer
      Last edited by kmf_fab; 14th March 2009, 01:57.

Comment

Originally posted by kmf_fab View Post
        I am running Exchange, ftp, file and vpn, what settings would you recommend to set?
        Only you can answer that question. Have a look at this page. A router (AKA default gateway) and DNS server are your bare minimum to get things working the way you want. A WINS server would be nice if you have one. Those are just the most common options but there are many more to choose from if you see the need.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the answer.
          In general is there anything one would need to change in that setup, from what I can see then it looks ok to me.

I guess I will have to check the clients next weekn when I am back to work with a ipconfig /all to see if there are any differences....

Over and out from Denmark...... 02:00am

Best regards,
          Kristoffer

Comment

Is this SBS Premium? If ISA Server is installed then the default configuration will require the clients to use the server as a proxy to get internet access.

What error message do the clients display when trying to connect to the internet?
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You didn't set this up using the Wizards, did you.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes I did use the Wizard to setup the network, is this not correct?

Best regards,
                Kristoffer

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  Is this SBS Premium? If ISA Server is installed then the default configuration will require the clients to use the server as a proxy to get internet access.

What error message do the clients display when trying to connect to the internet?
                  It is not a premium, they do not get any error messages, there is only some hesitation when connecting to the internet.
                  When saving file, there it also a slight hesitation, program is not responding, and then it saves the file.....

Best regards,
                  Kristoffer

Comment

I am with Biggles! If you use the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard, then DHCP (as well as DNS and WINS) are set up correctly for you.
                    Please UTFW!!
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                      I am with Biggles! If you use the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard, then DHCP (as well as DNS and WINS) are set up correctly for you.
                      Please UTFW!!
                      I did UTFW, why shout out like that after people when you do not know what have been done, atleast you could have asked me first if I had used the wizard or not.

Have a F good day!

Best regards,
                      Kristoffer

Comment

OK, folks, lets cool it a bit here
                        There was no shouting as acronyms are always in upper case, and UT*W is a well recognised one in the SBS world

Kristoffer, can you post the results of an IPCONFIG /ALL from a client so we can do some troubleshooting on this?
                        Also can you describe your network setup -- do all clients connect to a router or do they connect to the SBS which in turn connects to a router on a second NIC? (Sorry -- your first post said the latter -- can you confirm and post the IPCONFIGs from the SBS as well)
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Kristoffer
                          I am sorry you took my post that way as I certainly didn't shout. I read the thread through and saw your reference to the DHCP options where you implied they were not set. If you run the wizard (UTFW - not a shout!), then the scope options set are :

003 Router
                          006 DNS Servers
                          015 DNS Domain Name
                          044 WINS Server
                          046 WINS Node Type

If you didn't get these then there is a deeper problem that needs fixing.
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                            sorry for the late reply, I am sorry if I upset anyone that was not the purpose...

The network seems to work ok now, I have no clue why....

Thanks again folks for your help!!!

best regards,
                            Kristoffer

Comment

Working...
                            X