migrate SBS 2003 to standard windows server 2003 environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migrate SBS 2003 to standard windows server 2003 environment

Can some one send me a link or steps for migrating SBS2003 to windows server standard.

i am running AD, ms exchange 2003 in current, windows server SBS 2003 in present environment
    Rajeev

Re: migrate SBS 2003 to standard windows server 2003 environment

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Transition pack details

Google is your friend... My friend. Do check what service pack levels you are running on SBS and what service pack level you intend to migrate too.
    Last edited by scurlaruntings; 13th March 2009, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Transition pack details

Google is your friend... My friend. Do check what service pack levels you are running on SBS and what service pack level you intend to migrate too.
      I used this transition method and it ended up blue screening my SBS box half way through.

Like with anything, there are various reasons why it could do for one but not another but I would urge you to ensure you have backed up system state etc, so you can recover the server or ideally, added another DC to the domain in case you need to seize roles.

Microsoft gave me free support to resolve as their transition pack has caused the issue and I must admit, the support was excellent. I knew most of it myself already but wanted to make sure my recovery did not miss anything.

We had a 100 computer network off it and Exchange 2003 was installed on the old SBS box after wiping it and the roels seized to the w2k3 Standard R2 server, which already had DNS and DHCP.

Swing migration is also worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        I used this transition method and it ended up blue screening my SBS box half way through.

Like with anything, there are various reasons why it could do for one but not another but I would urge you to ensure you have backed up system state etc, so you can recover the server or ideally, added another DC to the domain in case you need to seize roles.

Microsoft gave me free support to resolve as their transition pack has caused the issue and I must admit, the support was excellent. I knew most of it myself already but wanted to make sure my recovery did not miss anything.

We had a 100 computer network off it and Exchange 2003 was installed on the old SBS box after wiping it and the roels seized to the w2k3 Standard R2 server, which already had DNS and DHCP.

Swing migration is also worth considering.
        Totally agree. This is the MS recommended path. Myself personally i use the swing migration and have done so many times with success.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
          Totally agree. This is the MS recommended path. Myself personally i use the swing migration and have done so many times with success.
          What is good about the transition pack, is that it effectively gives you the licensing cheaper, due to the fact you have SBS licensing already, so makes it cheaper than if you purchased the licensing separately, something like that.
          Last edited by Virtual; 13th March 2009, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            What is good about the transition pack is that effectively then gives you the licensing cheaper as the fact you have SBS licensing already makes it cheaper than if you purchases it all separately, something like that.
            Correct. This is the preferred option amongst our account managers here who are protecting there margin.

Comment

thanks scur and virtual for replying.

Now what you guys suggest shall we go for this or not. Can you hightlight some known/unknown issue before/after this.

This could be the my first attemptto do this, if we came across that stage. Can this be done remotely i mean by terminal into machines.

We want to put two new box one for AD 2003 w2k3 svr std and another for Exchange 2003 ????
              Rajeev

Comment

one more thing i want to ask is that
                Do we have only this option available.

I was thinking of installing DNS and ad on new server and integrating with current ad evironment on SBS2003 but not sure how that will work.

can you suggest some thing.
                Rajeev

Comment

Originally posted by rajeevsharma View Post
                  one more thing i want to ask is that
                  Do we have only this option available.

I was thinking of installing DNS and ad on new server and integrating with current ad evironment on SBS2003 but not sure how that will work.

can you suggest some thing.
                  Yes, add the second server as a DC in to the SBS domain. That is what I did. In fact, quick summary of what I did.

Used ADPREP and DOMAINPREP from the w2k3 Standard R2 CD to prepare he forest and domain, so I could join it the SBS domain. (if I remember correctly, it was on the 2nd CD)

Installed DNS (DNS was AD integrated, so nothing much to do with that)

Made it a GC.

Left it as it was for a week. ( I was also backing up System State before changing each time)

A week later.

Set DHCP to 1 day of lease on the SBS box.

Overnight, disabled DHCP Server on the SBS server and added DHCP on the 2nd DC and authorised it in AD. Made sure the DHCP scope options for DNS were just pointing to the 2nd DC.

Left that for the next day.

That night,out of hours, backed up the Exchange IS using NTBACKUP. Backed up system state of SBS box. Powered off the 2nd DC.

Started the transition of SBS 2003 to w2k3 R2 Standard using the transition disk.

There are clear instructions that come with the software with regards to guidelines. I followed them all. I would also recommend you make sure you install the 'recovery console' as well, so you don't need to use the CD to boot to it, just in case. It will reboot a couple of times during transition.

Mine then Blue Screened and we couldn't get in to it.

So I seized the roles on to the 2nd DC. Removed all the metadata of the SBS box, DNS srv records and AD Sites and Services entries.

I installed 2 new HDDs in to the SBS box, as I was replacing them.

Reinstalled with w2k3 Standard R2 (disks came with the transition pack anyway and license key)

Installed Exchange 2003 and fully updated everything.

I then realised I hadn't backed up the Exchange IS, so my backup was 24 hours old and people had been using email that day.

So I got a device to allow me to plug the old HDD to a USB port and copied the Exchange database and log files off it and on to the 2nd DC (now with all FSMO roles)

Mounted the database after some tweaking of permissions and then used some eseutil commands to effectively repair the database and replay log files.

Everything restored.

User's weren't effected as I made sure I called the old SBS box by the same name, so Outlook clients would map as normal.

Not one user complained and was a good experience as now I can cope with anything.

Basically, be prepared. Hopefully, you won't have to go through this and the transition will be a success.

Comment

Working...
                  X