Introducing SBS2008 into existing 2003 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing SBS2008 into existing 2003 domain

Hopefully I haven't missed this somewhere, apologies if I have.
    My scenario:
    2003 server std 64bit acting as stand alone DC.
    Main role is a 10 user terminal server for users.
    Very basic system, however does run SQL 2005 for database access by TS users.
    Client wants to have exchange in his organization.
    Thinking of setting up a 2003/2008 SBS server box, adding to the existing domain and then seizing roles.
    I've done something very similar (was 2003 std server not sbs) and was a very simple hassle free install and all is working very well.
    My client would prefer sbs2008 and I'd like to use it as well, but wondering how much harder/eaiser it will be to intergrate to the new domain.
    Can I even do this with 2008 SBS (std edition). Any one attempted this before?. I'd love to setup a test domain and try myself but dont't have the time and need to give my client an answer soon.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Introducing SBS2008 into existing 2003 domain

Originally posted by scottyb View Post
    Hopefully I haven't missed this somewhere, apologies if I have.
    My scenario:
    2003 server std 64bit acting as stand alone DC.
    Main role is a 10 user terminal server for users.
    Very basic system, however does run SQL 2005 for database access by TS users.
    Client wants to have exchange in his organization.
    Thinking of setting up a 2003/2008 SBS server box, adding to the existing domain and then seizing roles.
    I've done something very similar (was 2003 std server not sbs) and was a very simple hassle free install and all is working very well.
    My client would prefer sbs2008 and I'd like to use it as well, but wondering how much harder/eaiser it will be to intergrate to the new domain.
    Can I even do this with 2008 SBS (std edition). Any one attempted this before?. I'd love to setup a test domain and try myself but dont't have the time and need to give my client an answer soon.
    Thanks in advance!
    You are probably best installing the SBS 2008 server as a new forest and domain. You can then use swing migration to transfer the existing AD objects etc to it.

SBS 2008 servers have to hold all FSMO role holders and I have never known an SBS be added as a secondary DC in an existing domain and AFAIK, it not considered optional on an SBS network. It has to be the FSMO role holder from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      You are probably best installing the SBS 2008 server as a new forest and domain. You can then use swing migration to transfer the existing AD objects etc to it.

SBS 2008 servers have to hold all FSMO role holders and I have never known an SBS be added as a secondary DC in an existing domain and AFAIK, it not considered optional on an SBS network. It has to be the FSMO role holder from day one.
      Pretty sure thats right about SBS only allowing itself to be the only DC. Think that's probably the same for SBS2003.

Since I need to keep the original server intact - at least not reloaded -, I could swing to the new server, then demote the old server still isolated from the new server, then after demotion, just join it back to the new servers (and therefore original) domain. As it's new role will just be a terminal server, it doesnt need to be a DC.

My only other option would be to demote the original server first, then manually recreate the Domain and all objects on the new server, then rejoin the old server. Lots more work and users would notice their profiles would be reset to defaults.

Just found this link from MS. Pretty much covers what I need to know for SBS2003. From the looks 2008 should be very similar?

Comment

My experience has been with SBS2003. I think SBS2008 would be similar in regard to what follows:

I've found the easiest way to replace an SBS2003 server is to "swing" twice (ie through an intermediate server).
        1. Install any Windows server system (2003 or 200 on a spare computer as a member server. If you use SBS, only go as far as initial setup. Do NOT activate (you've got 30 days anyway). Stop after the reboot where it is about to install the SBS stuff. Use DHCP or spare IP, and give it a temp name.
        2. Connect to the network and using the temp machine, join the SBS domain, seize all the roles and allow time for AD to sync.
        3. Disconnect temp from network.
        4. Install new SBS on new server (or old one after backup of course). Once again install as member server.
        5. Connect to temp machine (by network) to the new server. You know what to do about IP addresses. If it's a new server, set the same as the old, otherwise just make sure they're different and on the same subnet.
        6. Join new SBS server to domain (controlled now by temp). Seize roles, sync AD etc
        And now you should have a new SBS (maybe 200 with the same IP and the same name as the original - which is useful to minimize client reconfiguration.
        I've only summarized the steps, there are a few more details - making sure DNS and DHCP are setup correctly, and more. If you're good with networks, AD, etc you can work them out.
        If not buy the Swing migration kit from www.sbsmigration.com. It's money well spent to make sure you do ALL the steps. It also covers Exchange migration (but I guess you don't need that).
        As for your choice of SBS2008, I guess you'll buy Premium to get SQL, and Standard doesn't support TS in Application Mode (nor in SBS2003).
        And I think even SBS2008 Premium doesn't support TS Application Mode on Server #1. But you can install it on another server. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957712
        Let us know how you get on!

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys!.
          Don't forget I need to keep the old server intact as it will continue it's current role as Terminal Server and SQL.
          This way I can use SBS std, get Exchange and my Users shouldn't see much of a change.
          Except some exchange goodness
          BTW, thanks for the info re "swinging". Had not come across that at all as I haven't been able to spend much research time here.
          Going to be doing a lot more reading!

Comment

For all my reverence for Swing Migration, I don't think it is necessary here. I would introduce the server 2008 as an additional DC in the existing domain (as long as there are no blocks like a single domain name - and whoever said you can't have another DC in an SBS domain was way off!). I would then upgrade the server 2008 to SBS using the migration docs over on Technet.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I would be curious to know how your implementation went. My experience with SBS 2008 is that you have a choice of two install methods:
              1. Normal install - creates new forest/domain, installs everything
              2. Migration mode - requires unattend migration file, joins domain, siezes roles (FSMO, DHCP), sets time bomb on source server and completes.
              So the posts about building a server then joining and promoting, then upgrading to SBS don't make sense to me. I don't believe that is possible.
              You must use migration mode, take over the AD roles, migrate the SBS roles and shutdown the original server.

What was your experience? Which did you implement and how did it work?

Thanks,
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              X