• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select a new OS: SBS or W. Server

Thanks for moving this question here,
    I post a new question: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=33961
    Related... but different

So, I get some quotes from DELL, I put my own answers below, maybe someone can use it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Hello I need help.

I need to buy a new Server to add as member server on my current sbs2000.
    I wonder what is the best choice of OS Edition to get, in terms of money$ and future slow grown . Our company is small, least than 50 users, but we hope to grown.

I don't need the real cost, only the estimate cost of my choice.

My options to buy are (32-bit editions for compatibility):
    a) SBS 2008 Premium, to upgrade my current sbs2000 and install SQL Server on the new server.
    b) Windows Server 2008 plus SQL Server 2008, both standard edition, (and upgrade if need it or get the most that we can afford for future use?).

What is less expensive?
    a) SBS Premium with CALs: 30 Premium and 20 Standard
    b) on Windows Server + SQL Server, how many CALs are need it?:
    b.1) 30 for my Users of SQL/ERP, or
    b.2) 30 for the OS plus 30 for SQL ?

I think that SBS Premium is less expensive, but someone can confirm this?

Some background and additional question:
    At Dec 2001 we start with 13 users, until now we have 27 using SQL (ERP), and 20 as generic users of the server.

We have 5 - 6 Network printers. ŅThe printers needs its own CALs on all the versions of sbs/winSrvr?

Maybe someone can add what option is better no only for the cost.

Many thanks for the Help.
    ---
    What I found:

Quotes from Dell/Microsoft, (in devaluated Mexican Pesos).
    here is my comparison:
    All SBS CALS are premium and all are for 75 user.

SBS 30/20 (50 usuarios) Vs SBS 75 (Both Premium editions)
    SBS 30/20....$107,371.96
    SBS 75.........$188,185.31
    Dif..................$80,813.35

(SBS 75 Premium) Vs (Win Svr Ent 75 + SQL Server Std)
    SBS 75..........$188,185.31
    Svr Ent 75.....$231,121.50
    Dif...................$42,936.19

(SBS 75 Premium) Vs (Svr Std 75 + SQL Server Std)
    SBS 75...........$188,185.31
    Svr Std 75.....$213,295.40
    Dif ...................$25,110.09

Seems that is less expensive use the SBS 2008 premium.
    And SBS2008 has limit of 4 Gb RAM on 32-bit for my 2nd server
    So, I think that I'll be stuck on 4Gb-RAM in the second server/SQL for compatibility.
    Last edited by elavionediaz; 11th March 2009, 01:01. Reason: fix mistakes, answer my own question

Re: Select a new OS: SBS or W. Server

Point of Information - there is no such thing as SBS 2008 32-bit. All SBS servers are 64-bit (because of Exchange 2007) . Maybe what you are confuing us with is that SBS2008 Premium has an additional server license for a second server that can be 32-bit.
    Re network printers - only if they have utilities that logon to the network do they need CALS. That is the SBS licensing rule - if you authenticate to the network, you need a CAL.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

So, this is the root of my confusion.

Nobody from DELL can't tell me that SBS 2008 is 64bit.

Worse, neither the info on Microsoft explain this

I'm glad to know that is 64bit... because the software that we use is not compatible, maybe I need to use Windows Server 2008 Standard 32-bit (but enterprise to get more than 4GB) and avoid incompatibilities.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by elavionediaz View Post
        Nobody from DELL can't tell me that SBS 2008 is 64bit.
        Shame on Dell.

Worse, neither the info on Microsoft explain this
        Well, it kind of does. When the SBS 2008 system requirements page states that you must have an x64 chip, that strongly implies that the OS is 64 bit only. Actually, it's ultimately Exchange 2007's requirement for a 64 bit processor that makes SBS 2008 require the 64 bit hardware.

I'm glad to know that is 64bit... because the software that we use is not compatible, maybe I need to use Windows Server 2008 Standard 32-bit (but enterprise to get more than 4GB) and avoid incompatibilities.
        What do you mean the software is not compatible? Does this software explicitly state that it cannot run on a 64 bit operating system? 32 bit programs can still run on 64 bit OSs.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thunders!... I have no words... the MS page have the info... I'm seeing things (or not seeing)

I only say one thing, the DELL rep they do his work, but, before ask for software better do the research by ourself, and only ask them for prices and nothing more.

The requirement of x64 of SBS, complicate my options:
          Suffice to say, I need to use my own Athlon 64 X2 (lucky me I have one), to test the whole apps that we use here.

Wikipedia say's that the instruction set for
          Xeon is: set x86, x86-64
          Athlon 64 X2 is: set MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, x86-64, 3DNow!

I hope that my test are closed to reallity.

Now it's time to search for SBS 2008 premium to test..

Eco-1 to Eco-7, I found it... repeat i found it!

Comment

Here's the link to the trial

http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/trial-software.aspx

You will need to make sure that your testing machine has a minimal 4GB ram and a minimal 60GB partition to install

http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/s...uirements.aspx

Comment

Thanks [madman045]

Oh my ... I only have ~1.5GB of RAM, but I need test SBS08 to find incompatibilities with our current software. I hope that I can get running this test server on my desktop PC.

ha!... Our current server is a PowerEdge2800 it's a Xeon w/4GB support x86/x64. So if we upgrade to SBS 2800 Premium, sure thing is that we can use the hardware...
              ... aaaah I want to jump out on my window :\

Comment

You can run SBS 2008 in a virtual environment, VMWare since it will handle 64bit software, but the Host machine will need 4GB for the SBS Guest PLUS however much RAM the Host operating system requires. (The Host will also need to be a 64bit hardware machine)

Also, if you want to jump out of a window, make sure it is open first. No point getting cut and experiencing extra pain before the sudden final stop.
                Last edited by biggles77; 28th March 2009, 16:56.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles77

GOOD Advice !!! (the window is now open)

Comment

From the Dell manual:
                    System Memory
                    You can upgrade your system memory to a maximum of 16 GB by installing combinations of 256-MB, 512-MB, 1-GB, 2-GB, or 4-GB (when available) 2-way registered ECC PC2-3200 (DDR II 400) memory.
                    So you can get up to 16Gb of RAM in that machine, and RAM is relatively inexpensive these days. However, DDR II 400 may be more dificult to source and consequently MORE expensive. 8 GB is aboiut the sweet spot for cost/benefit depending on what you want to do. However IIRC you spoke about a larger number of users (>25) so the more RAM the better.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X