New Server sames name and domain logon problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server sames name and domain logon problems

Hi, I have bought a new server preloaded with SBS 2003 premium, I duplicated all settings including server name and domain, IP etc

I did not connect it to old server (as a DC) as it was a mess and did not want to copy any rubbish.

I recreated the users manually (only 10), rebuilt mailboxes with PST. The workstations are logging in with only occasional failures.

Will I need to returne to workstation, then domain again to join the computer to new AD, if so will I lose the current profile setup etc.

could I copy the computers from AD on old server

I also have the exchange running in recovery, I have deleted exchange profile and readded on one machine ok, but just worried about losing local cached email, is this the correct way to do this?

sorry for the size of post
    Last edited by Bio Bob; 5th March 2009, 11:42.

Re: New Server sames name and domain logon problems

I am trying to work out what you are asking here. Did you buy a new server then just name it the same as the old one and expect it to run as your new domain controller?

Comment

Re: New Server, same name and domain, now logon problems

Originally posted by Bio Bob View Post

Will I need to returne to workstation, then domain again to join the computer to new AD, if so will I lose the current profile setup etc.
      You need to demote your client computers to a workgroup using the local administrator logon credentials and then join them to the new AD domain using the credentials of a Domain Admin. The computer objects you have created in the new domain will have a different GUID than the old one.

Backup your profiles first of all. You are best re-creating them as there will be security principles present that are unique to the old domain that may cause issues.

could I copy the computers from AD on old server
      You can using ADMT but in your case, as you have already completed a lot of processes manually, you may as well do my above recommendation. ADMT would have allowed you to migrate all the old domain data over to the new but you would also need to setup trusts. I'm not an SBS expert, so are unsure if it can be used for an SBS domain.

In fact, swing migration would have probably assisted you.

I also have the exchange running in recovery, I have deleted exchange profile and readded on one machine ok, but just worried about losing local cached email, is this the correct way to do this?
      This will be due to the clients not being connected to your current domain. As long as you backup the local Cache to PSTs, sounds like you have, you won't loose anything. I would also recommend backing up existing profiles, deleting them and have them be re-created when users logon to the new domain.

sorry for the size of post
      We have posts much, much longer.

Comment

Hi, the old server was just full of errors and kept rebooting could not find an answer to it so basically wanted a new server with full clean install.

I bought the server preloaded, so disconnected the old server from network, copied manually every setting etc and put the new one in its place.

The workstations connect and can see everything like the old one, just a few delays in logging on with some pcs.

What is the main problem with doing it the way I have?

When I disconnect the pcs and rejoin the domain will they keep all the settings they have just get a new GUID all will I have to reinstall programs that link to the server?
        Last edited by Bio Bob; 5th March 2009, 13:11. Reason: typo

Comment

Providing you carry out what I mention below, you should be ok.

Make sure you backup cached emails to PST.
          Backup their profiles.
          Demote to a workgroup using local administrator user.
          Delete the user's current profile.
          Join it to the new domain.
          Get the user to logon and then setup the Outlook etc in the normal way.

Comment

I copied the pst from an exchange pst backup on the old server to exchange on the new server, will this still affect their cached outlook or should I delete the link to exchange and re establish it first to create a new cached exchange link on their machine?

Comment

I copied the pst from an exchange pst backup on the old server to exchange on the new server, will this still affect their cached outlook or should I delete the link to exchange and re establish it first to create a new cached exchange link on their machine?
              Backing up the Exchange content to a PST will not guarantee that all the cached emails are present. If you carry out the below, you will end up connecting to Exchange with the new profile created when the user logs on to the new domain, so the cache will re-populate.

Give it a try with one and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Thanks for that, the boss was being a pain he wanted old server off sunday with a new server in Monday without anything from old, this seemed the only way as the server kept rebooting so could not hook up as to DC

bad boss

Comment

Just one thing to check, the domain name is the same as the old domain name will the workstations treat it the same or different to a brand new domain name?

Comment

Just one thing to check, the domain name is the same as the old domain name will the workstations treat it the same or different to a brand new domain name?
                    Once you have demoted the client machines to a workgroup, deleted the local user profiles and then rejoined them to the domain, it will be treated as if it is a different domain. SIDs will be different and unique to that domain.

Good luck.

Comment

Does anybody know how to get the Global Address List (GAL) from old server?

Comment

Does this help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555397

Comment

This is only seems to work over the network, I need to get these contacts from the server as it is no longer linked to the network as I have the new server in place.

I have put outlook on the server but I cannot find all my contact despite it telling me I am viewing the Global address list.

Do contacts save anywhere else?

Comment

This is only seems to work over the network, I need to get these contacts from the server as it is no longer linked to the network as I have the new server in place.

I have put outlook on the server but I cannot find all my contact despite it telling me I am viewing the Global address list.

Do contacts save anywhere else?
                            The GAL queries GC and AD to compile its contacts. Migrating over to the new domain would probably have transferred the relevant contacts at the same time.

Comment

Hi, I did not migrate the server only copied the data from backups to a brand new server as the old server was so flakey it kept rebooting in mid flow which is not ideal.

I just need to get all the contacts out of old server in any format at all (even if I have to retype them)

Just cannot seem to find any other contacts than the users of the server domain, (workstations) which is very odd

I now think the contacts were stored in a shared folder named after the company but this is also blank for contacts, do i need to be connected to it through a client to see this data?
                              Last edited by Bio Bob; 11th March 2009, 12:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X