Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Windows 2000 Server with Windows Server 2003 SBS r2 in existing domain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Windows 2000 Server with Windows Server 2003 SBS r2 in existing domain.

Hello all,

This is my first big server project at a IT professional. I have made a lot of progress in the upgrade (Replacing Windows 2000 Server with Windows Server 2003 SBS r2 in existing domain), but am having some issues and could use some advice.

Here is a summary of what I have done. I have read many forum posts to get to this point. The main document that I followed is the one below. I pretty much followed it to a T:
    http://www.msresource.net/knowledge_..._hardware.html

Install Windows Server 2003 sbs r2 on new server, did not finish the set up (icon on desktop. I did this once and created an unwanted domain and had to reinstall os to fix this issue.) I stopped at the initial basic setup. (not sure if I am going to continue with the set up once I have taken the 2000 DC down).

Prep the 2000 server and domain with adprep utility on 2003 install disk. did the three commands to prep domain, forest and one other thing. like gp or something.

add the new server to the domain (had to disable firewall on 2003 server, it was not accepting pings)

promote new server to DC using dc promo command

set up DNS and DHCP on new server, point server to itself for DNS

Transfer the 5 FSMO roles over to new server

Make new server a GC

Install special application software for client and configure users to use files from the new sever.

Currently when both servers are up, everything runs like a charm. As soon as I shut the old server down, some funny things happen. It seems the new server cannot access a GC to get user info and is slow to let users log in if at all. Once logged in, mapped network drives don't work. Client sometimes cannot remote into the new server because error messages like. "The domain cannot be contacted".

When I ping the domain name on the clients I get the new server IP.

But when I ping the domain name on the new server I get the IP of the old server.

I am suspecting this is the source of my problem, but I am not sure. I am considering going into the new servers DNS records and deleting links to the new server as the (A) host and similar links.

I check and made sure the server still points to itself for DNS, and it does. It does have an alternate DNS server, but it is from my ISP.

I need to be able to have the network work completely with the old server down before I feel comfortable with demoting it and removing it from the Network.

Any thoughts our ideas as to what may be the problem? Any info would be greatly appreicated!

Joel
    Last edited by Joels; 5th March 2009, 06:25.

Re: Replacing Windows 2000 Server with Windows Server 2003 SBS r2 in existing domain.

Small update. I successfully got the DNS server on New server to point to the new server IP address when pinging the domain name from both client and server now. I was able to do this by removing the other server from the DNS listings as a NS or a host of the domain. Not sure if this was a good idea...

I am still having log on issues. Log in takes a long time for clients and mapped network drives wont' log in with users account info like they normally do when both servers are up. It is asking for a user name and password (meaning that the one I am logged in with didn't work. ) I can't figure out what is missing from my new server that won't let it opperate the domain by itself. Do I have to demote the old one before it will do this?

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciate

Joel
    Last edited by Joels; 5th March 2009, 06:12.

Comment

Re: Replacing Windows 2000 Server with Windows Server 2003 SBS r2 in existing domain.

Is yor DNS AD integrated? If not, is DNS setup as secondary on your w2k3 R2 Server? What about clients, do they now point at the new server? Have you made sure that the w2k3 R2 server is listed in AD Sites and Services and in the correct subnet?

Comment

I am pretty sure my DNS is AD integrated. Both servers are in 192.168.0 subnet and have similar DHCP server settings. Only 1 will run at a time. Currently DNS and DHCP are diabled on the old server and everything runs fine, as long as the old server is on.

I just know that the clients are in the domain, I did not know they need to be linked to a specific server. They can connect to the new server via network drives or typing in \\newservername in run box with their credentials as long as the old server is on as well. If the old server is not on, it wants a password, specifically the "administrator" one. Do I need to somehow point the users and computers to be associated with the new sever specifically. Do I have to tell the new server to take care of log in problems? I am pretty sure I set it up as a GC.

Onething to note: my current domain name has " .com" like domain.com. I have heard warnings about this, but this is what the current domain was called. Not sure if this will matter.
        Last edited by Joels; 5th March 2009, 18:25. Reason: More info

Comment

I have just been informed that I need to resolve this issue tonight. If I do not get my problem resolved, I plan on reinstalling OS on new server, setting up a new domain, and migrating my users over and reinstalling the application software.

Any other advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Joels View Post
            I have just been informed that I need to resolve this issue tonight. If I do not get my problem resolved, I plan on reinstalling OS on new server, setting up a new domain, and migrating my users over and reinstalling the application software.

Any other advice?
            Are the DCs part of the same domain? Are the client machines joined to the new domain by demoting them to a workgroup and then rejoining them?

Comment

The two servers are currently part of the same domain. I basically added a windows server 2003 sbs server to a windows 2000 domain and wanted to replace the 2000 server with the new sever, but I was unable to get the old domain to function just on the windows 2003.

I am going to abort on this attempt and follow the procedure listed on technet list as migrating from small business server 2000 or windows server 2000 server to windows small business server 2003. Before I do this I will demote the new server, reinstall the os, and then basically create a new domain and transfer users and computers over to the new domain... I told the client I would be done tonight and am starting at 4:30 PM... here goes nothing.

Thanks for you comments

Comment

Originally posted by Joels View Post
                The two servers are currently part of the same domain. I basically added a windows server 2003 sbs server to a windows 2000 domain and wanted to replace the 2000 server with the new sever, but I was unable to get the old domain to function just on the windows 2003.

I am going to abort on this attempt and follow the procedure listed on technet list as migrating from small business server 2000 or windows server 2000 server to windows small business server 2003. Before I do this I will demote the new server, reinstall the os, and then basically create a new domain and transfer users and computers over to the new domain... I told the client I would be done tonight and am starting at 4:30 PM... here goes nothing.

Thanks for you comments
                Hope it goes ok. My knowledge of SBS is that it must be the one and only FSMO role holder in the domain, which is perhaps why you had the problems having joined it to the 2000 domain, even though you did transfer roles to it.

Comment

That makes sense. I was not aware of that. I guess that is why the microsoft prescribed way of doing what I did is to migrate to a new domain rather than over take it. The original article I was refereing to did not address different OS's, it was just focused on switching to a new server.

In the future I will be sure to do a little more research if I am ever going to be doing server work. You can't be sloppy at all like you can when working with desktops.

Thanks for the comments I think I will be good to go from here on out if I just follow the procedure exactly.

Comment

Working...
                  X