SBS2000 - Changed Internal IP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2000 - Changed Internal IP

I recently moved our Dual Homed SBS2000 to a different subnet. When I did so I changed the internal IP, and other misc things needed to do so. The external IP stayed the same.

We have our SBS 2000 DNS server and a backup DNS Win2k Server that has DNS installed. Before the change everything worked smoothly.

Users logged in fine to the network, and our Citrix servers with no issues, are using ISA as their Internet Gateway fine, Exchange 2000 emails flow is working with no issues. So in that aspect everything seems to be working ok. Afterwards I brought up DNS on our SBS2000 red "X" was over our other DNS Server on the network. When I double clicked on it, it didn't refresh and pull the info from it. So I went to the other DNS Server (Win2k Server one) and was able to see both it's and the SBS2000 DNS entries just fine.

After that I went and did a netdiag /v and looked through the results. The only thing I noticed is that ther was a message like the following:

Testing DNS
    [FATAL]: The DNS registration for 'x.x.intranet.local' is incorrect on all DNS servers.

(X.X.intranet.local isn't the real name, i X'd it out)

I must of missed something when I changed the IP address on the internal NIC, and it is probably something simple. Any ideas?

Here is what our NIC setup looks like:
    ================================
    External NIC
    IP: 10.10.10.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.10.10.2
    DNS: 127.0.0.1

Internal Nic:
    IP: 10.3.128.2 -> used to be 10.3.129.4
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: None
    DNS: 10.3.128.18 (win2k server dns server)
    DNS: 10.3.128.2 (SBS2000 DNS) - Used to be 10.3.129.4

Re: SBS2000 - Changed Internal IP

Check the Properties of DNS. It may be that the security is set to only replicate to specific IP addresses,so you may have to change the IP address there.

Comment

Do you mean by right clicking on the server in DNS MMC and choosing properties right? And if so what specific tab?

Comment

This should help. Should be the same in 2000.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782181.aspx

Comment

Did you re-run the CEICW?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The link for the DNS i'm assuming is for SBS2003 or later as it doesn't show me any tab for replication.

I ran the ICW as the last thing when I changed the internal IP address and no errors shown up.

Comment

Originally posted by bicarus View Post
              The link for the DNS i'm assuming is for SBS2003 or later as it doesn't show me any tab for replication.

I ran the ICW as the last thing when I changed the internal IP address and no errors shown up.
              There should hopefully be a replication tab somewhere on the Properties of the Zone.

Comment

Note in line

Originally posted by bicarus View Post
                I must of missed something when I changed the IP address on the internal NIC, and it is probably something simple. Any ideas?

Here is what our NIC setup looks like:
                ================================
                External NIC
                IP: 10.10.10.1
                Subnet: 255.255.255.0
                Gateway: 10.10.10.2
                DNS: 127.0.0.1 <==== Should point to the internal NIC
                Internal Nic:
                IP: 10.3.128.2 -> used to be 10.3.129.4
                Subnet 255.255.255.0
                Gateway: None
                DNS: 10.3.128.18 (win2k server dns server) <=== Make this secondary
                DNS: 10.3.128.2 (SBS2000 DNS) - Used to be 10.3.129.4 <=== Make this primary

IIRC there is a wizard in the SBS console to change the server IP. Attached is a picture of the equivalent in SBS2003.

Correct the DNS entries and try running "ipconfig /registerdns"
                Attached Files
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have changed the DNS on the external nic to our new internal IP on the sbs2000, flip flopped the dns and ran ipconfig /registerdns. Then waited the obligatory 15 minutes as it stated to wait.

Looked through everything I could to look for a "Replicate" option in the DNS MMC on all properties I could bring up, but couldn't find nothing.

Went back in on the SBS2000 dns mmc and tried to bring up the other dns server which it gave me the same error message.

After that ran netdiag and everything passed, but got the error again:
                  ================================================== ===
                  DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
                  [FATAL]: The DNS registration for 'x.x.intranet.local' is incorrect on all DNS servers.
                  PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '10.3.128.2'
                  and other DCs also have some of the names registered.
                  PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '10.3.128.18'
                  and other DCs also have some of the names registered.
                  ================================================== ===

I then went through all the other settings I could think of, and after going into AD Sites and Services I noticed that I still have the two servers in separate Sites (Location 1 has Win2k Server, Location 2 has SBS2000) would that cause the issue above - or contribute to it?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone..

Comment

Working...
                  X