Sbs As File Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs As File Server

Hi will have issues setup sbs 2008 time be as staight file server then later add seutp other features?

they shound be no issues use file server with out add the pc to sbs domain

reason i ask is company want slowly move stuff over so right now all i want do move share folder from one desktop machine for time being

then later as clean up desktop jion them sbs domain

They shound be any issues i might just have run thoght connect setup wizard for sbs right and can other one later time with no issues?

Re: Sbs As File Server

You can't join an SBS server to an SBS domain as another DC.

However, interesting concept with regards to making it a file server. I am know expert but I'm sure you'll get your answer.

Often with SBS, depending on your version, it also gives the license to allow a standard version of Windows to be installed on another server and joined to the domain. This could be a DC, file server, print server, application server, whatever you want. The SBS server would need to always hold all FSMO roles though.

Comment

Yes I know sbs has be domain control and only dommain control in domain

Yes i know has hold all roles

so for time be i cound run thoght internet setup and routering setup

not add any client machine to domain at moment

but make file share for client machine to acess share folder contain data then

as slowly clean up they network and replacement jion them onto the domain?

also my second question

sbs 2008 with out static ip????

I shound,nt have any issues I done it before 2003

but sbs 2008 appently queite diffent from what i hear

Comment

You should be able to setup the SBS server and not join the computers yet if they are in a workgroup. If there's an Active Directory Domain then there's going to be issues.

You should choose a static IP for the server now. It can be changed in the future.

Also, you can add additional Domain Controllers to an SBS domain. It's the FSMO roles that need to stay on the SBS server.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I was talk about public ip not internal of course that will be static

am talk about only single server use sbs 2008 file of coures with dhcp dns etc setup till we get it time slow move work station on too domain ?

Comment

You should be fine as long as there's no other AD domains on the network.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X