Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2008 - POP - Pc & Mac Exchange

Hi,

I have the folowing setup, SBS2008 Standard, we have 8 pop accounts, 4 on pc's, 3 on mac's all in our offices and 1 on pc externally (only uses email). I setup the pop connector for the pc's and used mydomain.com as the domain to be managed by myself and all is working
    fine, the mac's can send the pc's email (goes externally) however when the pc's want to send the mac's, exchange sees them as the mydomain.com and with no user accounts and bounces them back, is there any way to make exchange accept ie [email protected] and
    [email protected] as external email accounts.

Thanks

Andrew

Re: SBS2008 - POP - Pc & Mac Exchange

May be a mile off, but I was under the impression that as long as you assign the external email addresses to the appropriate mailboxes, they should be received ok. Of course, your external domain MX record will also need ot point at an external IP address that routes the mail traffice to Exchange.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the mx records are for pop accounts, there is no smtp to an IP for exchange, if we change this then the users that are not onsite will not receive their pop mail, unless I am missing something.

Comment

It sounds you may be using a smart host then. Are the emails not stored on the Exchange box?

Are the pop accounts for the single domain?

Comment

yes we are using smart host (BT), the emails for the pc's are stored on the exchange box, mac's and external users are stored locally, yes the pop accounts are all for a single domain

Comment

So if I am correct, you have email adresses/mailboxes for the POP 3 recipients on the Exhange server. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would have thought you were best to set up contacts in exchange for the external emails and then have users email the contact. They will then be received.

Comment

Hi Virtual, thanks for your patience.

Yes thats is correct, all email accounts at ISP are seperate pop accounts, I have setup on sbs pop connector to collect and deliver to users on system.

If I setup contacts in exchange for the external emails with the same domain name as the internal ones, won't exchange treat it as internal and not find the user and bounce it back?

Thanks again

Comment

That clears things up for me. So the Clients, MAC and PCs use the Exchange as their POP server?

Comment

No the pc's are connected to sbs and use exchange, the mac's are stand alone and collect mail from ISP

Comment

And the poblem you have is sending emails to the MAC user's email address hosted by the ISP? As the email address is external to your Exchange server, you should be able to create a mail contact for each MAC user's email address.

With regards to how Exchange will behave, I am not entirely sure how it will behave. I think your right.

There is a way of connecting MAC's to connect to Exchange.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_t...sh-part-1.html

And I believe you can have a MAC logon to the domain as well. Perhaps you have a CAL issue or another reason why they are stand alone.

I can't think of any other way it can be done.

Comment

Will create a contact with the address and see if that works, I know exchange will think its internal, was just wondering if there was anywhere where you could make an exception rule ... will carry on hunting.

Will goto client next week and try and connect mac to exchange and see if that works, not that great with macs.

Thank you again for your patience, will post results

Comment

Good luck Netbase. Look forward to the results. I will research in to rules as well. I would like to think it sould be possible though in Exchange 2007, a lot of rules and filtering you can setup is on Edge server.

Comment

Working...
                        X