Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant access company website anymore

Hello,

Last week I setup a new sbs 2003 prem for customer.

When we goto their website from a pc on the domain it will not show up.

I know why..........in the past we could get away with creating a shortcut of the websites ip address and it would work.

The hosting company cant give us an ip address as the website resides on their network in an area where other sites are dumped and so we cant get our own ip address for the website.

What do i need to do to access the website on a domain pc?

Move to melb it and get an ip assigned to the url directly or is there something i can put in the workstations or server to allow them to see the website outside of the domain?

Rocco

Re: cant access company website anymore

Are you saying that the AD domain name is the same as their website domain name?

If so...

Are you also saying that you've added the A record in DNS for www and that it doesn't work? I would have thought it should...

If so...

You could possibly try a CNAME record rather than an A record for the host www, long term though as you've setup the AD with the website domain name, you will probably have to move the hosting to a supplier who will give you a dedicated IP.

And in future, probably worth not using a 'valid' FQDN for Active Directory
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

TPG are such a pain sometines but they have good plans.

Make an entry in your DNS pointing to the external website. I am assuming it is an external website and NOT the companyweb (SharePoint) page that loads after joining the computer to the Domain using the Wizard.

[Edit: posted second since Gareth types faster than me]
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        TPG are such a pain sometines but they have good plans.
        TPG?

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        [Edit: posted second since Gareth types faster than me]
        My office is right next to the coffee machine these days... and with the hours I've worked this week, I've been downing a lot of it. If you stand close to me you can probably hear a buzzing noise.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

TPG?
          Secret info that Moderators have access to. They are an ISP here in OZ.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Aha. Hope they're better than Mailbox in the UK... they couldn't be worse.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

yes the website isnt local on the server.

Comment

Have you tried our suggestions?
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X