SBS2008 Premium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2008 Premium

Hey guys, i need some help here, i have a company with 1 sever win2003 and exchange 2003. Now i need a new server and my idea is to make a new xeon server with sbs2008 premium because of exchange and sqlm since exchange 2003 cannot be installed in win2008. Now i still need the old win2003 for TS since i have 15 TS Cal's, and for the printers. So my idea is to make the sbs2008 a PDC and joining the win2003 to the domain. 1 Server for sbs2008 with exhange and sql, and server 2 for ts and printers. Does sbs2008 premium take more than 4 gb of ram ? Advise apreciated.

Best Ragards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Re: SBS2008 Premium

SBS 2008 is only available in 64-bit, so yes it takes (and you would be strongly advised to install) more than 4GB. 8 seems to be a reasonable starting point, but given the ridiculously low cost of RAM these days I'd suggest 16 or more.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thx for the answer, if i buy the sbs2003 standard, does it support more than 4 gb as well ?

Best Regards
      Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

SBS 2003 is only available as 32-bit software. So no

http://www.google.com
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

sorry for the stupid question, i ment sbs2008 standard, sorry. but since sbs is 64bit, probably it will support at least 8gb max correct ?

Comment

Google.

It's 64-bit, so will support more than 4GB. Googling "sbs 2008 maximum memory" tells you it will support up to 32GB.

Gareth Howells

Comment

small business 2008 standart minimum ram:4 gb
              maximum ram:32 gb
              but i advice you to use it at leat 8gb ram for good performance. you can use sbs 2008 standart with maximum 75 users and you can't make it additional domain controller. it must be only pdc. the other note is standart edition version don't include sql server and isa server. it has compability problem with sql server 2000. so you should upgrade your sql server.

Comment

Probbly i will go for the sbs2008 premium so that i can get sql and isa. Thx for the help guys. This Forum is the Best!!

Comment

SBS 2008 doesn't include ISA.

If you're opting for Premium to run SQL Server, I'd go for no less than 16GB.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    SBS 2008 doesn't include ISA.

If you're opting for Premium to run SQL Server, I'd go for no less than 16GB.
                    Make sure you put 89 Octane in it too, and change the oil every 6 months.

Or you could split it out over two physical machines. SBS Premium includes a separate Server 2008 license for just such an occasion. If you must have ISA (TMG?) You'll need Essential Business Server. Of course, you could just buy a separate box to put ISA on, but then you wouldn't have System Center Essentials to play with.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                      Make sure you put 89 Octane in it too, and change the oil every 6 months.
                      We're replacing our oldest server in a month or 2. It's a proper computer in every sense of the word, with a hole on the front to push trees into and a pipe on the back for the black smoke to come out of.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

No, i really dont need ISA Server, so i will stick with sbs2008 premium. Is a Double Xeon a good option ?

Comment

Pair of quad core Xeons will do nicely. Pair of dual cores would probably be fine, but if the software supports it * and your budget allows it, I'd max out the hardware as much as possible.

* check the limitations of SBS to ensure you don't buy more than it's able to utilise.

Memory and disk are far more critical I would say then having the latest greatest CPU.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

It's hard to tell since we don't know your situation well. Xeons are good processors, but from what I've gathered a slower quad-core would be better than a faster dual-core. I just ordered a HP server with a slower Quad-Core Opteron processor when I could have had a faster dual core. It seems that SBS is heavily threaded and can take advantage of the multiple cores quite nicely.

How many users will this be for? If you can, get a good disk controller, put the system on a pair of fast SAS hard drives in RAID 1, and then create a RAID 5 set for everything else. It would be idea to have a second mirrored set or even a second RAID 5 set. Everyone seems to recommend putting the Exchange database files and log files on separate drive sets.

EDIT: Gareth beat me by 3 minutes... thus is proven the advantage of having a Petri-brain-uplink to notify you of new posts within the nanosecond.
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                            -------------------------------
                            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Everyone seems to recommend putting the Exchange database files and log files on separate drive sets.
                              Separate arrays and separate RAID cards, where at all possible. Even high performance RAID cards are (relatively) dirt cheap these days.

EDIT: Gareth beat me by 3 minutes... thus is proven the advantage of having a Petri-brain-uplink to notify you of new posts within the nanosecond.
                              It tickles my brain.

Seriously, I've spent all day lounging around on here and The Register waiting for the ret... users to logout so I could get on with the server rebuild. But I'll rant about that in the coffee lounge sometime.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X