• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License for server2003

Hi
    I hope this is the right forum to ask

It's a dummy quest

I have SBS2003 (the main domain--server)

I have another server win server 2003 std
    if the server2003 is conecting to the domain (like a pc)
    should i buy licese for the server2003? or the CLT of the sbs2003 is OK?

Thanks

Re: License for server2003

You need a license for every instance of the OS which is running. You also need a Client Access License for every OS which accesses a server. If you're in Per Seat mode you need one license for the server and one CAL for each client (including member servers and workstations). If you're in Per Server Mode then you need license packs for each "x" machines that connect to a particular server; however in a domain model the "Per Server" model doesn't make any sense as you can't say which server you will be connecting to...

By the way - "Per Seat" is the default licensing mode.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I'm not shure that i undersood

I have sbs2003 --main domain+ server2003 in the same domain
      and 14 pc's with XP Pro

The mode is in per seat

Do i need to buy only 15 licenses for the sbs ?

Thnaks

Comment

Originally posted by nvahav View Post
        I'm not shure that i undersood

I have sbs2003 --main domain+ server2003 in the same domain
        and 14 pc's with XP Pro

The mode is in per seat

Do i need to buy only 15 licenses for the sbs ?

Thnaks
        No you also need Client Access Licences for the PCs (I think?) - can someone else please confirm?

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I presume you have got an OEM or a Retail license for your SBS2003. As well as that you'll need CALs and with SBS 2003 you can use Device CALs ( Not exactly sure about a Member server though) or User Cals (Depending on what suits you best and what the forecast for future expansion is)
          All the SBS licences though come in denominations of 5s and 20s. So you'll have to get three sets of 5 Device CALs for example.
          but you'll also need CALs for your Member server as well. a few things to consider when adding a member server to an existing SBS network: http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch.../04/22340.aspx

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            but you'll also need CALs for your Member server as well
            That's not the case - SBS CALs cover a member server. I quote from your link:

Remember that it's not necessary to buy umpteen Server CALS for your member server, the SBS CALS will cover that member server licenses

And from one of our licence certs:

this CAL also authorizes you to access and use the services and functionality of a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or earlier version that is in the same domain as the Server Software
            Last edited by gforceindustries; 10th February 2009, 16:10.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yeah true, cheers GI. What I probably should have said is that still the member server needs to be configured with the same Number of CALs as the SBS.

Lesion learned - RTFL (as in L for Link)
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yes the server does need to be configured with the number of CALs you have.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Many Many Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X