Server 2003 DC and SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 DC and SBS 2003

Just been asked to put in a new Server 2003 box, at a clients. He currently has a existing SBS 2003 box that is pretty messy and has not been looked after. It is a samll network, 6 users only. Other than the small amount of data on the sbs box, my desire is to make the Server 2003 unit the DC, and rebuild the SBS box and have it as a member of the domain. dont know much about SBS, so I would apprecaite some direction. Regards, TheNodge.

Re: Server 2003 DC and SBS 2003

Can't be done!
    SBS must be a domain controller and hold the FSMO roles

(thread reported for move to SBS forum for better response)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You should be able to add the Windows 2003 box to the SBS domain as a backup. I recently attempted a transition from SBS 2003 to W2k3 Standard, which went wrong. Thankfully, i had already joined the w2k3 to the domain as a GC, it didnot have any FSMO roles, and used that to rip roles to it, so there was no downtime. The attempted transition was out of hours.

Microsoft gave free support as it seems to be a known issue with the transition pack.

Comment

Forgive me for my lack of understanding, but why so? I was always under the assumption that SBS was the lesser of the 2 operating systems. I have no need for all the faciltities of SBS in my scenario, I dont need exchange or anything, and I prefer Server 2003 to be DC, than the instability of SBS. I would appreciate some extra data of this if anyone has it. thanks

Comment

No. SBS is an ideal cost effective solution for Small Businesses with more user friendly wizards and of course saving money as can come with Exchange and SQL builtin. However, it is more restrictive but ideal for Small Businesses.

What I was referring to would achieve what you want. A transition pack would allow you to convert the SBS box to a normal, everyday w2k3 Windows system and would allow you to use the CALs of the SBS, so saving money.

As there are only 6 users, you are probably best to rebuild a domain on the new PC and copy any data over to it from SBS and get them using that domain. This will then allow you to rebuild the SBS box and then mabe transition pack it or you could just purchase W2k3 R2 standard and appropriate CALs and join that to the new DC.

As you don't want or need SBS, it's your only option.

Comment

Originally posted by theNodge View Post
            than the instability of SBS
            What are you basing that on? SBS is no less stable than other Windows servers.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gareth, maybe so, but this has been my experience... (I am sure this relates to my first server experience, where SBS burnt me badly.)

Virtual, I should enlighten you to a few more things:
              1/ the new box the client is getting will be a new server pre-installed with Server 2003.
              2/ we are essentially replacing all offices pcs in the same operation.
              3/ I was going to get it all up and running, re. DC, file and pront operations at another location, with each new XP/Vista Business unit, and then take it to the clients and have the new network setup new too the current units.
              4/ I was going to do some simple file transfers using a external HD, as the client doesnt have a enormous amount of data.
              5/ I was not going to cut anything over till all this was completed.

Now, you mentioned a "Transit Pack It", what do you mean by this??

Comment

Originally posted by theNodge View Post
                Now, you mentioned a "Transit Pack It", what do you mean by this??
                Google "SBS transition pack".
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  No. SBS is an ideal cost effective solution for Small Businesses with more user friendly wizards and of course saving money as can come with Exchange and SQL builtin. However, it is more restrictive but ideal for Small Businesses.

What I was referring to would achieve what you want. A transition pack would allow you to convert the SBS box to a normal, everyday w2k3 Windows system and would allow you to use the CALs of the SBS, so saving money.

As there are only 6 users, you are probably best to rebuild a domain on the new PC and copy any data over to it from SBS and get them using that domain. This will then allow you to rebuild the SBS box and then mabe transition pack it or you could just purchase W2k3 R2 standard and appropriate CALs and join that to the new DC.

My post explains about the transition pack.

Your carrying out what I recommended. It all depends whether you want to utilise the current server. You won't be able to join an SBS server to the new domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post

<snip>

No it's not! Swing migration can take care of this perfectly. I once tried saving a domain someine tried to rebuild that had only 4 computers and it took DAYS, because profiles and offline files were stored in many locations - all with important data. If you say that the network has not been looked after, you may find yourself in a similar situation.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Teiger. I'm not with you on this one. Are you saying not to transition pack or saying that it is best not to first make another domain alongside the existing?

The Nodge doesn't want SBS and is in a state, so he could transition, which would bring over the domain in it's current state or create one alongside.

Comment

Think I know what you are saying now Teiger. Swing migration does look interesting and looks to make life much easier.

However, the Nodge, from what I gather below, only has two servers, so is Swing Migration possible.

Comment

I wanted to answer just "Yes" to your question but the forum does not allow me to post such a short answer. Hence this long winded way of saying it
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks Teiger.

Comment

Working...
                            X