Win XP not accessing Companyweb page

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP not accessing Companyweb page

I set up a new computer with Windows XP Pro connected to SBS 2003. Everything worked.
    Then I was asked to change the user name. Now Outlook cannot receive emails and the Companyweb page cannot be accessed. However, the Internet can be accessed as well as common files on the server.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this problem? Changing the registry is not a problem if I knew where to look.

Re: Win XP not accessing Companyweb page

I forgot to mention that the computer name was changed along with the user name on Windows XP Pro. Could a change in computer name mess with the ActiveX controls used to interface with SBS 2003?

Comment

I take it that the username changed was a local account? Was it renamed or a separate User Account created? Have you tried creating a user account separate to the one renamed on the XP desktop and tested it? Or do you mean an SBS AD account?

Comment

Is the machine a domain member?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, the machine is a local domain member. On SBS, a new username and computer name were created after the old names were deleted.

Since I cannot find anything wrong with the SBS 2003 setup, I assume that the problem is on the workstation using Windows XP Pro SP3.
          On the workstation, I first changed the computer name, then added the new user name. Only later was the old user name deleted.
          Last edited by syswriter; 4th February 2009, 23:16.

Comment

Side note: Could be a virus. Just got a laptop in today that's doing this same thing. Can't access anything internally (but can ping it all), but can surf to anything external no problem. IE also closes randomly. Viruses are confirmed FYI. Mondo, Vundo, and some others I've never heard of.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by syswriter View Post
              Yes, the machine is a local domain member. On SBS, a new username and computer name were created after the old names were deleted.

Since I cannot find anything wrong with the SBS 2003 setup, I assume that the problem is on the workstation using Windows XP Pro SP3.
              On the workstation, I first changed the computer name, then added the new user name. Only later was the old user name deleted.
              Why didn't you UTFW? then everything is done the SBS way. Also check that the workstation is pointing to the SBS for DNS (the wizard does that too!!)
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I just checked for viruses, and found only a tracking cookie. I had also used the wizards whenever possible.

Thanks for mentioning DNS, teiger. I found that the DNS address of the workstation was not listed in SBS 2003. I was able to establish a DNS connection from the workstation. The workstation can now find the Companyweb page.

The email problem is also solved. Outlook 2007 was missing the [email protected]<server>.local email address. The way to set that up is to close Outlook, go to Control Panel and open Mail. Then the Exchange Server local email address can be set up.
                Last edited by syswriter; 9th February 2009, 00:20.

Comment

Working...
                X