SBS 2008 DNS Server not available

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 DNS Server not available

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but we have just installed our first SBS2008 and it appears that workstations are unable to use the DNS server unless they are part of the domain. We want all computers using the network to use the SBS2008 DNS server regardless of whether they are domain members or even users on the SBS2008 server.

I have disabled the firewall temporarily but still no further forward.

Any help much appreciated.

Colin
    Colin

Re: SBS 2008 DNS Server not available

Are you saying you don't use the wizard (UTW or to quote Harry Potter Teiger UTFW) to join the workstations to the SBS2008 Domain?

How many workstations do you have running on your SBS2008 Domain?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The problem is not with domain members but other users on the network not being able to use the DNS server to resolve correctly. I have found a workaround so not to worry.

Thanks for responding.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Maybe you could post your workaround so that anyone else with this problem knows how to fix it? Share and share alike.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Not sure if this is the same issue I've got or not. Had it when testing SBS2008 RC1 and posted to Microsoft. Just installed the RTM product and had the issue again (I think, same fix worked anyway).

The issue I had is that previously resolved DNS were stopping working after a few days. e.g. go to google.co.uk and it works, but a few days later google.co.uk no longer resolves. Other sites that you've not been to before do resolve but also stop working after a day or so.

Resolution is to clear DNS cache, or restart DNS Server service. The latter is fairly easy to to via a cmd file and task scheduler. Not great to have to do this though.

experts-exchange suggests ensuring your ISP DNS servers are configured on the forwarders tab in DNS options. Not been able to check my SBS since reading that but I assume they should be put in by the setup wizard, but maybe not. see here

Comment

The workaround was to set up a small Linux server on the network to handle the DNS ... I just didn't have the time to try and figure out what MS had done (I remember Vista and all their 'security enhancements'!) ... I have a business to run. Sorry it is on the back burner until I have time to sort it.
            Colin

Comment

Thanks Robincm ... I suspect something is still broken in there ... I'm familiar with configuring AD etc. so have a deep distrust of early MS releases born of many years of painful experience!
              Colin

Comment

Personally I feel it is a good thing from a security perspective that your desktops can't connect to the DNS server. I wouldn't be comfortable allowing unmanaged computers and usesr to connect to a domain computer.

Microsoft now have a policy of implementing good security from the outset, so is probably just a security setting.

As you said, you have put it on the back burner for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  Personally I feel it is a good thing from a security perspective that your desktops can't connect to the DNS server. I wouldn't be comfortable allowing unmanaged computers and usesr to connect to a domain computer.
                  A machine needs to be able to talk to the DNS server before it can join the domain...
                  Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjack View Post
                    The problem is not with domain members but other users on the network not being able to use the DNS server to resolve correctly. I have found a workaround so not to worry.

Thanks for responding.

Colin
                    I think if you read the above quote, Colin has problems with the workstations or laptops that are not joined to the SBS Domain. This looks like a lack of CALs (or DALs) so the non joined macines are not being supplied with the appropriate DHCP/DNS supplied IPs OR the number of machines trying to connect to the Domain has exceeded the CALs.

Since Colinjack hasn't posted back to share his workaround I think we can consider this topic closed.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

He posted back with his workaround in post #6, which was to use a Linux server for DNS.

Interesting theory about the CALs - my years of working with SBS 2003 mean I find it difficult to imagine the concept of SBS licence tracking actually working properly
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

My apologies Colinjack. Missed your post completely.....I must be pissed again but I don't drink.

Thanks for posting back with your workaround and hope you get is properly sorted when time permits. I shall read your next posts with greater care.

Thanks for pointing that out GI. I believe the licencing issues was sorted out with SBS2008 (or it may have been SBS2003R2. Steven will be able to confirm that with more confidence that I can at this point in time)
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

2003 R2 with SP2 didn't seem to be much of an improvement either. I've seen a couple of sites that weren't overly compliant... the 'best' though was a site that had 10 user CALs and 40 users, and the only problem they had as a result was me trying to flog them some licences.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks Gforceindustries for correcting me. Good point raised. Whoops for me.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Thanks for pointing that out GI. I believe the licencing issues was sorted out with SBS2008 (or it may have been SBS2003R2. Steven will be able to confirm that with more confidence that I can at this point in time)
                              ISDN - It Still Doesn't (Net)work

They have given up on SBS ever being able to count correctly - you are now on trust to buy the correct number of licenses you need, just like MS Office.
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X