X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joing member server to domain help please

Hi Everyone,

just new here and glad of that.

I have a job coming up where my customer wants 2x servers.

1x being a domain server with sbs 2003 premium on it ( so we can store files and use exchange)

1x being a member server with server 2003 std ( will house a sql database)

My question is that i have always been able to setup sbs 2003 prem to run on one box and all is well. when the database supplier said to my client they wanted the database server to be a member server i came to a slight halt.

My understanding is that the member server would join the domain server like a normal xp pro workstation would?

I gather a domain is not created on the member server...do i just join the domain in the same procedure for joining a normal xp pro pc to a domain?

i hope this isnt confusing

rocc

Re: joing member server to domain help please

forgive the double post but this is the order i assume.

1 install sbs 2003 premium on domain, create domain and setup on network and up and running with domain name 'hello'

2 install server 2003 standard to member server drivers etc etc but DO NOT CREATE DOMAIN.

3 connect member server to network with same ip address scheme as domain server and right click on my computer,properties,computername,change, type domain 'hello' and join it?

is this correct?

Comment

Just join the win 2003 machine to the domain as you would with an XP machine.

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Just join the win 2003 machine to the domain as you would with an XP machine.

Ta
        L4andy, if I may just expand on your suggestion just a little.
        That would mean using the http://servername/connectcomputer wizard. This would entail configuring the server in the Server Management but use the Server Computer Wizard and NOT the Client Computer Wizard.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          L4andy, if I may just expand on your suggestion just a little.
          That would mean using the http://servername/connectcomputer wizard. This would entail configuring the server in the Server Management but use the Server Computer Wizard and NOT the Client Computer Wizard.
          I couldn't have put it better myself
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Forgive me Gents,

I am not familiar with what your suggesting in 'That would mean using the http://servername/connectcomputer wizard. This would entail configuring the server in the Server Management but use the Server Computer Wizard and NOT the Client Computer Wizard.'

My understanding is I would join it to the domain as i would a xp pro pc via my computer and properties etc etc?

Forgive my confusion.

Rocco

Comment

When you join an XP machine to the SBS Domain, you use the Wizard that is found in Server Management on the SBS Server. (click Start go to top of Start Menu)

Then you use the Wizard to add PCs, Servers and also Users. NEVER add them manually!! I would strongly recommend you getting this Train Signal SBS 2003 Lab to get you quickly up to speed on how to use and manage SBS. http://www.trainsignal.com/Small-Bus...ining-P19.aspx

Click image for larger version

Name:	sbs-server-setup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	463932

Click image for larger version

Name:	sbs-client-setup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	463933
              Last edited by biggles77; 5th February 2009, 04:11.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thankyou all for the replies

Rocco

Comment

No worries. Live Long and Prosper and Use the Wizards Luke.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    No worries. Live Long and Prosper and Use the Wizards Luke.
                    I'm probably losing it, and my screen res being set too high doesn't help, but I misread 'Wizards' as 'Lizards', took 'Live Long and Prosper' to mean Spock, and came up with an image of you and some buddies playing a few rounds of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Spock-Lizard
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                    X