Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS not working across VPN

Hi all,

I have a strange situation that just happened to me and it is affecting nearly all the servers I look after. Basically the setup I use is to install IAS on the file server and then I have a gateway device which handles VPNs and it also uses a radius plugin to authenticate users against AD on the file server. When I setup the users VPN connection, I put the DNS suffix in under TCP/IP properties so that, when connected to the VPN, they can browse by host name instead of IP address. Recently though, this has been failing. If I connect via VPN to any of the servers, I can ping the IP address but not the host name. This is causing problems with conencting to exchange and also connecting to mapped drives etc. I heard that microsfot has put out an update that changes DNS some how, but I am not sure what update it is and how it works.

Can anyone help? The only site I have that is not affected by this at all is a site that uses RRAS. What gives? All the sites are running SBS 2003 SP2 or SBS 2003 R2 depending on age.

Cheers,

James
    Last edited by James Miller; 30th January 2009, 06:48. Reason: Added OS info

Re: DNS not working across VPN

Originally posted by James Miller View Post
    I heard that microsfot has put out an update that changes DNS some how, but I am not sure what update it is and how it works.
    Hi James,

I know it sounds obvious,but what updates were applied to the SBS boxes around the time when the problem started?
    That'll give you an idea or rule out the Update as a possible culprit.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: DNS not working across VPN

Hi L4ndy,

I have fixed it now - the gateway devices (managed) had an update pushed to them and it basically altered the way the device handled VPN connections and DNS requests etc. At the same time as I posted this forum request I also lodged a support ticket with Tech support for the gateway devices and they got back to me a little while ago, letting me know of the changes and how to fix it. Thank you for the prompt reply though.

The MS patches I am thinking of (damned if I can remember them) were pushed out a while ago and, from memory, increased the range of ghost/pseudo ports (can't think of the correct terminology) and this could sometimes conflict with the ports used by DNS, VPNs etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that!

Comment

Working...
      X