No announcement yet.

Receiving Email - SBS 2008 Standard

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving Email - SBS 2008 Standard

We have in our company SBS 2003 and we are going to replace it with SBS 2008, does the email part have to be a smtp account, or can we use our pop3 acc with a catch all address - we have been using this in 2003.

If it needs to be changed whats the easiest way.

Thanks in advance

Re: Receiving Email - SBS 2008 Standard

You can still do both but I recommend you use SMTP.
    Basically you need to let the world know where you are, what your name is, and how to get to you.
    That means either you need a fixed IP address and domain name or an account with one of the Dynamic DNS providers.
    In SBS you can UTFW know as the IAMW or (Internet Address Management Wizard) to configure much of this for you. Details here

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks for the reply, I have a registered domain name, static ip address, i can get the email to go out, but not to come back in.

Thanks again

Configure the MX record for your domain name to point to your IP address.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.