Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Format & Reinstall SBS2003 - Have to rejoin clients?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format & Reinstall SBS2003 - Have to rejoin clients?

Hi,

A client wants me to format his SBS2003 server and reinstall on the same hardware, with the same .local domain name. Then if I manually create new user accounts and new computer accounts on the SBS box with the same names as before, will I have to disjoin and rejoin the client workstations to the domain?

They don't have roaming profiles, nor any custom GPOs to worry about.

My problems are that although there are only 12 users (so typing in the usernames and computer names is easy to do) many of them are on laptops out of the office so the task of disjoining and rejoining the laptops to the domain is administratively very difficult as I would have to wait until each laptop is back in their office before I can attend to it so that part of the task will spread over several days, and this client is over 200 miles away! I want to format/reinstall in one day.

Since I have to do this soon, I do not have time to look into Swing migration so I wondered if doing it the "dumb manual" way of creating a new domain with the same name and new user & computer accounts with the same names is going to allow the client computers to avoid going through the disjoin/rejoin process.

By the way, he does not use Exchange at all, but has to use SBS because he has the licence & CALs for it.

Many thanks for any advice.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Format & Reinstall SBS2003 - Have to rejoin clients?

You will have to rejoin them, preferably using the Wizard since it is SBS. If I mention SID will it give you a clue as to why they need rejoining? (I hope that doesn't come across as sounding sarcastic)

What is their reason for the reinstall?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not sarcastic - truly helpful my friend!

I did have a vague suspicion that SIDs would get in the way of things, but was hoping (against hope). Ahh well, you have put me on the right track & I thank you for that.

Their SBS box is behaving very strangely - 4GB ram but lots of hard disk thrash and odd perfmon readings on the hard disks. Several services can't start and third party software that I know to be reliable behaves oddly, often crashing. Nothing untoward in the Event log, but if I boot into Safe Mode the disk subsystem is as fast as expected (mirrored pair). Having tried for ages to get to the bottom of things, their IT manager decided on a format/reinstall and called me in to do that task, but he wants it done on Wednesday so I have very little time to prepare. At least I now know what to advise him regarding the laptops, which is a task he will have to do (or pay me to come back again and again!).

Petri-Points are on their way to you now via secure delivery by way of my appreciation.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

You do NOT hace to rejoin them if you are brave enough to perform a swing migration!

You will need a second mox loaded up to SBS disk1 (DONT create a new domain!)

Join this box as a member server to original SBS network.

DCPROMO second box.

Seize FSMO roles and disconnect LAN from second box.

BACKUP ALL DATA on original SBS box, flatten and reload to disk1. Then reverse above procedure. You can now continue loading the rest of your SBS disks, its easier if you keep the server name the same too.

This was all machines retain same SID's dont need rejoining, and you can forklift your exchange store! easy! Sharepoint is a little tricky but if you dont use then dont worry.

If you want further info drop me a mail.

OOPS, just read the bit about you not having time to do a swing!!! But to be honest they are dead easy and dont take that long, and rememver to clean up AD and DNS!

Martin Messom
        Last edited by martin_messom; 18th January 2009, 15:03. Reason: misread post

Comment

Thanks Martin - really nice and clear. They don't have a second box (they're only 12 people) but those ideas will suit me very well in the future for other companies that I support.

If I flatten the SBS box, then reinstall it all, but with a different domain name, when I come to treat the client PCs, can I avoid the disjoining /reboot/rejoin process by simply jumping from the old domain to the new one?

That is to say, can I do https://servername/connectcomputer and tell the PCs to join the new domain without having to remove him from the old domain first?

Thanks.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

i didnt know this was possible on SBS server. my understanding is that only one SBS server can be on the domain and windows std servers can be joind but no roles moved.

i believed this was the limitations of SBS.

i ask because i too have a client that wants a new server but wants to keep sbs and would like a swift migration.

can i truly perform a 'swing' migration with this method on SBS 2003

Comment

Eh? Swing Migration was invented for/by SBS ;>) (see www.sbsmigration.com).
              Paul believe you me the time you spend phutzing around with the stations dis-joining and rejoining them wii be MORE than time spent learning swing!
              As for that second "box": I have a Server 2003 permanently installed on my laptop inside a Virtual PC - 3Gb disk, 512Mb RAM, IP address 192.168.16.3!
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Yes, teiger, you're right - the penny dropped soon after I realised that I could do the second-box-shuffle with a VM.

I ended up not going down that road, partly because I was able to forewarn the client about the disjoin-rejoin process and they were rightly concerned about the disruption so a more considered, planned approach was taken rather than rushing it through on one day.

So, swing here I come!

Mordzy: you can have 2 sbs boxes side by side but only for a limited time, but you do have to take one of them offline after a few days.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Glad the swing idea was of use, sorry didnt get back to you quicker been out the country on business.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504 - This will work with a SBS box.

Hope it all goes well. If you need further advice drop me an email.

Martin

Comment

Please keep all communications in the Forums as this is an online service so all can benefit from the questions AND solutions. Dropping an emailing takes the thread offline and in doing so negates the purpose of these Forums.

Thanks.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the link Martin, very useful. I'll post back here if I have questions or anything else constructive to say!
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                      X