Identify VPN machines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify VPN machines

Currently I have Server 2003 with a bunch of PCs that run digital signs VPN'd in so I can RDP to them.

I need to be be to identify them quickly to access them so, i was thinking WINS and DNS so I could use RDP to browse to the PC. Are the DNS and WINS for the clients configured somewhere the Remote Access controls and put into the VPN IP address or is that done in the PC itself in TCP/IP?

Re: Identify VPN machines

What's acting as the VPN endpoint? Is it the 2003 Server? If so then DNS/WINS and DHCP is handled by the server (by default, unless you have RRAS configured with a static pool of addresses)
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks again for your help. the 2003 server is endpoint. The VPN is the default setup so I didn't configure a static pool of addresses. I could not find where I define the DNS/WINS addresses for the VPN clients. The Server is remotely hosted and has no PCs on it's LAN and under admin tools->DHCP Server isn't configured.

Is this somewhere in Remote Access that I set the DNS/WINS info?

Thanks again!

Comment

That's odd. What to do is establish the VPN and then run ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt. You should see settings for the VPN adapter in there and it will tell you if the address is statically assigned or from a DHCP server. In the latter case it should also tell you the IP address of the DHCP server.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Good call, here are my results, they show DHCP as not enabled. Not what I expected to see...

PPP adapter VPNConnection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
          Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.192.236
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.192.236
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.74.28.149

Comment

That is indeed odd. When you establish the VPN you can access all of the workstations? If that is the case all of them must be using APIPA addresses as well.

I'd definitely look into setting up DHCP, at least for the VPN clients if not for the whole network there.
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks again cruachan for your responses. I can access then through RDP, I haven't tried anything else.

I will try that configuring DHCP. It is strange that it gets an address assigned, different each time I connect, but says no DHCP is enabled.

Thanks

Comment

Automatic Private IP Addressing, that's why they all start with a 169.254.*.*

When you RDP to one of the machines I take it you do it by hostname rather than by IP address? What are the IP settings on the workstations out of curisoity?
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I RDP via IP address as I don't usually know the machine name. I get the IP from yje Routing and Remote Access. The workstations are all set to DHCP on their individual LANs, which is usually controlled by some cheap DSL router.

Comment

OK, sort of makes sense. In that case you have 2 choices:-
                    1. Disable DHCP on the router and get the server to do it for the whole network (More work but probably a better solution)
                    2. Configure RRAS with a static pool of addresses for VPN clients. Make sure these addresses are excluded from the DHCP pool that the router gives out.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Okay, I put the address that shows up as the server on the PPP adapter in the VPN Network settings tab for WINS. Now the names of the clients respond to a ping.

Comment

Working...
                      X