Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New install, SBS 2003 or SBS 2008?

Hi,
    Is there any compelling reason if purchasing a new Dell server to get it with SBS 2003 instead of SBS 2008?
    I'm talking about the standard editions here?
    Thanks
    M

Re: New install, SBS 2003 or SBS 2008?

Purchase whichever best fits your needs? Without knowing details of your company we can't advise either way. Unless you have a specific reason for using 2003, I'd suggest that you get the latest version.

I would also recommend that you do not get a copy installed by Dell. Not only will an OEM licence be tied to that hardware (unlike a Retail licence that you can move to another server), but they will more than likely setup a less than optimal configuration.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Broadly the 2 standard editions cover the same bases: Windows Server, Exchange Server and Sharepoint Server. Obviously 2008 includes the latest versions of the products.

There are a few differences though. SBS 2008 does not support being installed in a dual NIC configuration and must be behind a firewall of some sort, and as it includes Windows Server Backup rather than ntbackup you have no native capability of backing up Exchange or backing up to tape.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Broadly the 2 standard editions cover the same bases: Windows Server, Exchange Server and Sharepoint Server. Obviously 2008 includes the latest versions of the products.

There are a few differences though. SBS 2008 does not support being installed in a dual NIC configuration and must be behind a firewall of some sort, and as it includes Windows Server Backup rather than ntbackup you have no native capability of backing up Exchange or backing up to tape.
        Ahh thanks, I certainly would not have noticed about the lack of built-in exchange backup in sbs 2008.

The other two differences would not be an issue in this instance in this case.

What solution are folks using to backup Exchange on SBS 2008 standard?

Thanks
        Mike

Comment

There really only are 2 options, one is Microsoft Data Protection Manager and the other is the pretty much industry standard Symantec Backup Exec. Neither is all that cheap but then your data and emails are business critical.

I don't know if Backup Exec works on server 2008, I would expect so as version 12.5 was released recently. Symantec do/did produce an SBS specific version.
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

BU Exec 12.5 will work with Server 2008 / Exchange 2007. I can't speak for SBS 2008 but I would expect it to be OK
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry for being a little dumb and just so I can get this straight in my mind

With the SBS 2008 standard, the Windows Server Backup does not backup the Exchange mailstore when it does a backup?

I'm not too bothered about being able to selectively recover individual users mailboxes but do want to be able to get Exchange and the users emails etc back up and running in case of a disaster?

Also, I could not find a simple answer to 'end of life' date of SBS 2003 R2?

Thanks
              Mike

Comment

If you can believe Wikipedia I was mistaken. Exchange support has been removed from Windows Server Backup in Server 2008, but is still included in SBS and Essential Business Server. There is also going to be a plug-in at some point for normal Server 2008 (no doubt chargeable)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_...moved_features

DPM is probably not an option as it requires a dedicated server to run on, which leaves you with Backup Exec 12.5 if you have a requirement to backup to tape.

Regarding life cycle (assuming I interpreted the MS policy correctly ) there'll be 10 years support minimum per business product, 5 normal + 5 extended. Whether this is calculated from original RTM or from latest version is open for debate. Certainly at the moment you should be able to buy 2008 with a downgrade license for 2003 should you desire it, and it'll be supported till 2013 at least.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Away from this discussion.
                  Personally if I had the choice I would go straight away for Windows 2008.
                  No near future migrations, a lot of enhancements against W2k3 etc.

IMHO Backup would be a "minor" issue to solve although it's of course important.
                  Nevertheless it wouldn't be a Major issue for me to stay away from W2k8
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I would tend to agree with Marcel to be honest. I don't see any real benefit in running what is ultimately a nearly 6 year old operating system.

NTBackup is alright as a short term solution, but Backup Exec is pretty much industry standard for a reason. It's expensive but worth it IMO. Windows Server Backup's lack of tape support is odd to say the least, and rules it out for me for even short term use.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

If you can believe Wikipedia I was mistaken. Exchange support has been removed from Windows Server Backup in Server 2008, but is still included in SBS and Essential Business Server. There is also going to be a plug-in at some point for normal Server 2008 (no doubt chargeable)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_...moved_features

DPM is probably not an option as it requires a dedicated server to run on, which leaves you with Backup Exec 12.5 if you have a requirement to backup to tape.

Regarding life cycle (assuming I interpreted the MS policy correctly ) there'll be 10 years support minimum per business product, 5 normal + 5 extended. Whether this is calculated from original RTM or from latest version is open for debate. Certainly at the moment you should be able to buy 2008 with a downgrade license for 2003 should you desire it, and it'll be supported till 2013 at least.
                      Thanks for the info.
                      Yes from that wiki page it says:-

Exchange backups. (NTBackup was replaced with VSS-based Windows Server Backup). Microsoft is recommending Data Protection Manager, but it requires a dedicated server. Windows Small Business Server and Windows Essential Business Server both include an Exchange backup component. A Windows Backup component for non-SBS installations is forthcoming.[17]

So as you say it will backup Exchange, according to that. I was hoping somebody on here would have done a SBS 2008 install and said yes or no but perhaps SBS 2008 is a little new yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X