[SBS2008] Instead of NDR's, Receive all those mail in one mailbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SBS2008] Instead of NDR's, Receive all those mail in one mailbox

I have recently installed SBS 2008 at a customer and he wants that all e-mails wich have errors in the front part of the e-mail adress to be delivered at a certain mailbox. Something like a Catchall account.

I have read that this is only possible when you use EDGE Transport and there for you need a dedicated server with specifically that roll on it. This is not done in my situation.

There for i found this link:
    http://dnn.ebsfaq.com/Exchange2007/E...8/Default.aspx

Wich describes how to create a CatchAll account with a script written by Marco de Graaf (Microsoft Guy).

But when i follow the small tutorial i encouter this error:

Install-TransportAgent : Invalid agent configuration in file 'C:\Program Files\
    Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Shared\agents.config'.
    Op regel:1 tekens:23
    + install-transportagent <<<< -Name "CatchAll Agent" -TransportAgentFactory:Ca
    tchAll.CatchAllFactory -AssemblyPath:"C:\catchallagent\CatchAllAgent.dll"

Do you people know any other way to create a CatchAll account or how i could solve this error?

Hopefully you can help me.

Kind Regards,

Iznogoud

Re: [SBS2008] Instead of NDR's, Receive all those mail in one mailbox

Not sure if it'll work or not... but you could try adding the email address *@domain to the relevant user account.

By no means guaranteed to work... if you've not seen this suggestion during your research then chances are it won't. I don't have access to an Exchange 2007 system to try it on.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Not sure if it'll work or not... but you could try adding the email address *@domain to the relevant user account.

By no means guaranteed to work... if you've not seen this suggestion during your research then chances are it won't. I don't have access to an Exchange 2007 system to try it on.
      This is not the way i am looking for if it works at all.
      Because this will drop ALL the mail on that account. I only want the left overs wich can't be send to excisting adresses.

Mis typed e-mail adresses, wrong names, . or - wich are forgotten, these mails needs to get to one user and not solved by sending a NDR to the sender.

Comment

It will either drop all mail, or all mail to addresses not expressly defined. It entirely depends on the implementation of the software. As I said, by no means guaranteed to work, but doesn't hurt to test it.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Catch Alls are a really bad idea.
          They are nothing but a virus and a spam trap.
          A catch all means that every email address is valid. It means that all the viruses and spammers who make up email addresses will get delivered.
          It would not be unusual to come in on a Monday morning and find 10,000 messages in the catch all account. I have a client who drops that amount of messages to non existent users every day.
          Imaging the waste of storage space and bandwidth that would use.

I have a blog posting which should be up by the weekend on why catch all accounts are a bad idea and goes in to some detail why.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

A catchall can have its uses, but diligent administration is absolutely essential. As Simon pointed out, it will greatly increase the risk of your system being compromised. So before you go ahead and implement it, make sure you go through with your customer exactly what will be required and the implications.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I know what a CatchAll can cause and how dangerous it can be. But i told the customer in different ways you shouldn't user it. But still the customer wants it to use.

Who am i to not doing it on HIS system. I have informed him about the cons. and he still wants it, oke i will try to find the solution for him.

So thanks for the heads up, but i knew it already from experience.

Comment

Working...
              X